Take a look at my personal website...

rcorlew

Take a look at the site I made for my family. I am still pretty new with php and have not really worked with html for years until one day I got bored and built this. Remember I am fairly rusty at this and built this whole thing just to see if I could, it is really a test to see if I could teach myself php and use sql.

Anyway here is the link.

[url=http://www.corlewland.com/]http://www.corlewland.com/[/url]

you know what, it actually isnt bad. almost like an enclosed MySpace just for your family. Here's what I'm not so hot on:

- a personal preference, but i always like the top banner/logo to be clickable to take me back home.
- your nav is repeated twice. if you lost it out of your left column, and left it up top, then all your other stuff like multimedia would be visible.
- the footer (the big flaming logo). doesnt really fit with anything. I won't even [i]start[/i] on the 'Site Optimized for...' comment, as here on 1024x768, it looks good on FF. Apart from:
- there is an overspill of text from one of your two boxes (the Guest Book Entries one) on the home page.
- i was able to submit a blank contact form. also, the message saying "This is what you sent" in big, bold red, makes it look like an error message. Consider changing/adapting this so something like "Thanks for your message!" with a friendly link to go back to homepage.
- give the calender you have (top left) a container of its own. even if it's just a bordered white box or even styled like a calendar page. i'd personally swap the calendar and the banner around so that the calender goes top right, just because of where i was focusing when i first looked.

To be honest, I always find personal/family sites a bit hit and miss but mostly not my cup of tea (I guess they're aimed more at friends and other family anyway) but I think this is actually ok. A few issues of tweaking, and possibly just adjusting colours a bit, and you're there. Maybe keeping the homepage quite clean (theme free) and leaving the themes to the individual family member pages?

Cheers
Mark

• 3 weeks later...
I actually took quite a few pointers from some of those site design places. I tried to layer some css blocktext formatting with tables, at first I was having text overflow because I was using absolute sizes instead of relative. I am also getting ready to change over the contact us form over to a simple sql table input like all my othe stuff. I am also dabbling into OOP so I stripped out a lot of function coding and simply call the class itself to save server load. I know that my site won't validate yet because of the images not having alt tags, but I have a ton of them in sql tables and that would require tooooooo much retyping not to mention time. The reason there are two navigation areas is simply because each part of the site has it's own relative links. I tried to create a multilevel DHTML menu but some of the overflowing of text cased the page to jump and that simply was not acceptable since alot of the audience intended for viewing is older and find that irritating. I appreciate the comments though, I found that a workaround for the page size for smaller resolutions like 800x600 is to simply scroll over and ignore the left pane of the page. Yes I do have two family members who actually have that small resolution, but everyone else runs 1024 or better resolution.

• 2 weeks later...
OK folks, I just redid pretty much everything. Made different header, changed nav bar and footer and everything in between.

I changed the layout of the pages along with making a new theme.

Take a look if you like.

http://www.corlewland.com/

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.