Question on Copyright????

liam1412

I have been asked to design a site for a company. The logo they use is a copyrighted image (by someone else) of a comic book caracter.  I have asked about the permission they have to use this and he says he isn't bothered. Am I as the designer responsible for the copyright infringment or is it him as the site owner. Should I do the site or am I at risk from lawsuits.

Thanks

it maybe worth putting a disclaimer in your contract stating it to the effect that you are not responsible for any action that might be taken. whether it's wrong or not, it could potentially stop them ever saying "my designer did it!" if they get approached.
I can't see it being your fault, but still - worth covering your tracks if you're unsure.

I also would be careful about working for someone like that, I personally had that happen 2 time's.  BOTH time's (literally), 1 owed me 1k, and hte other owed me 300, neither of htem paid. So I would get a percentage from him up front, because if he cares that little for copyright, what does he have to loose for not paying you, I had that happen 2 time's.  My new policy, is I make sure I only work on proper material, I would tell him this, and see about checking on the copyright, even the disclaimer might not protect you from a pissed of (multi million dollar), comic book company.  it's not worth the risk for a project, for one "possibly sleezy" client, there is too much at stake.

Cover it in your contract.

"Customer warrants that all materials provided by customer are copyright clear and/or licensed to customer for use on the subject web site, and agrees to save the developer harmless in that respect".

Have the same clause to protect the customer for anything you provide.  That's as fair as can be.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.