Text Editor

clicking on any of the top toolbar buttons when nothing selected actually completely replaces all of the text in the box with the selected bbcode. also, with so many lightweight replacements for textareas, that provide a fair amount of WYSIWYG support, I do kinda wonder what the point/aim is.

fair comment. original point still stands about the content being cleared, though. Would be good to see more features in terms of formatting the text too - and as it's AJAX, you could have it auto-update the formatted result instead of clicking the button. Failing that, a simplified, stripped down version of TinyMCE/FCKEditor would be a good direction to aim.

* when you click on it erases the other instead of adding htem together.  If you click bold, then italics, it replaces the other bold with italics.

That is only when no text is entered, it is a very good editor, or could be over time.  I think it needs a better layout (maybe move the output over some), and it could use some more features before being made a standalone application.  Like bullet's and some other stuff, but so far it's coming along quite well.

[quote author=Daniel0 link=topic=122977.msg509725#msg509725 date=1169381467]
It selects all text after using the buttons. It's a bit annoying.
[/quote]

It shouldn't select all the text after using the buttons. It should operate very close to the editor in phpfreaks.
(EDIT: Sorry, after checking with Firefox I see the issue, thank you for bringing it up.
It has been modified differently now.
)

When you select a item it will keep it highlighted so you can do multipe edits on it.  Also the buttons and look is not final it's just for testing purposes =).

Hey

Its pretty bland right now, not many features, try adding a live preview.

I started work on a simlair text editor nearly 2 years ago, was great to learn php and just general techniques, http://teenfront.co.uk/eos/eos.php    take a look at the live preview box under the main text area. NOTE : this is 2 years old - the formatting buttons dont work, but the smiley inserts do. :)

Yea I haven't added any graphics yet.  This is actually going into a live chat program so the preview function is basically useless, although I might still add it for future releases.  If you find something not working I'm currently working on the live chat portion of it so you might see errors occuring. =)

• 4 weeks later...
Does it work with ie? mine shows this:
Object not found!
The requested URL was not found on this server. The link on the referring page seems to be wrong or outdated. Please inform the author of that page about the error.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 404
www.startrekrpg.com

Sorry I changed the location due to new implications of features.  I haven't added unload session refreshing yet.  My current dilemma is refreshing and onunload.  With the unload handler it will activate everytime the page leaves (meaning refreshes are affected.)  I need to make it so when the window is closed it destroys the session and logs the user out.  However I want people to be able to refresh so what I think I'm going to do is add a refresh option to the chat room.

PS> The text editor was being used for a chat room so it's no longer just a text editor.  It is a chat room via AJAX / PHP and has some features you would find in IRC like /nick and /whois and /w.

[quote author=Lumio link=topic=122977.msg531131#msg531131 date=1171657916]
[quote author=Lumio link=topic=122977.msg530170#msg530170 date=1171567666]
http://zems.net/js/area.html
Type in some bb-code :D
but it doesn't work so well
[/quote]
Adress changed to http://livebb.zems.net
[/quote]

Why are you posting your application in my beta test thread?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.