define variables (array)

Destramic

define("FILE_UPLOAD_TYPES", array('image/gif'));

i want to have this variable as a array so i can basically check when people upload if that certain file type is permitted.

[code]
if (!in_array('image/gif', FILE_UPLOAD_TYPES))
{
    echo "file not allowed";
}
[/code]

but it doesnt seem to work...are you not able to sore array's in a define varable?

thanks ricky

Could probably loop through an array using foreach and set the definition name to the ID... Such as:

foreach($array as $id => $value) {
define($id, $value);
}

But like jesirose and gennericnumber1 hinted at, using defines is incredibly messy and variables are generally better... Honestly the only time I've ever used a define is for error numbers that are used everywhere.

[quote author=genericnumber1 link=topic=123561.msg510873#msg510873 date=1169503342]
[quote author=jesirose link=topic=123561.msg510869#msg510869 date=1169503292]
Or you could just use a variable ;)
[/quote]

COULD do that, but what if he wanted to add more allowed MIME types later :P
[/quote]

Amazingly enough, one of the cool things about variables is they can vary. They can be changed. It's pretty easy to add another value to an array.

[quote author=jesirose link=topic=123561.msg510886#msg510886 date=1169503530]
Amazingly enough, one of the cool things about variables is they can vary. They can be changed. It's pretty easy to add another value to an array.
[/quote]

Do I sense a 'lil hostility :P? Fact of the matter is, multiple options are available. Whether it's constants, variables, arrays, etc... serializing constants can be messy though, good luck!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.