Bought my first house.

trq

Pretty excited at the moment as I've just got the news today that my first home purchase will settle on the 25th of this month and we are moving in on the 27th.

I don't have any photos at the moment but I might drive out there this week to take some if I get the time.

Its a two bedroom A frame style house (looks like a big triangle form the front) with loungeroom / kitchen and bathroom on the middle level. Two bedrooms upstairs, and a large second lounge / rumpus / computer room and 2nd bathroom at the back downstairs. Waterfront property so we got veiws from most rooms.

I'll post some picks when I get the chance.

Anyone else here a home owner?

That's awesome thorpe!  Congrats!

I'm a recent home owner myself.  My wife and I rented an apartment in a little city outside of DC for a few years but then we decided to have kids and thought we'd better settle down.  So last June we bought a 5 bedroom, 2.5 bath colonial.

EDIT: Sorry, realized there was some info in one of those pics I don't really want to share even though it wasn't mine.

I'll second the congratulations.  And after 30 or 40 years of cutting the grass, painting the 'whatever', and fixing everything at least twice, you'll be able to trade it in for something exotic to share with the old lady and not enough rooms for the children/grandchildren to want to stay too often.  That's my plan, and it's awfully close to realization.

Oh yeah.. the fun part of house ownership.

Things I've done in the past 6 months (outside of new kitchen appliances and painting, etc):

New sump pump

Humidifier for the furnace

New locks on the house

Bought lawn mower + all kinds of outdoor tools (trimmers, shovels, etc)

Fertilize/weed control on lawn (last owner SUCKED at lawn care)

Things to do in the next 6 months:

Refinish deck

Seal basement walls (a few small cracks, one of which leaks during heavy rain)

congratulations thorpe!

ober. i'm jealous dude (i was an 'average monkey' who was curious lol). house like that over here would cost anywhere upwards of £250,000 - 500,000 (prob about $500,000 - $1,000,000).

i put in for a house years ago when i was earning silly money. had a seriously low offer accepted as i had no chain (was living in rented accomodation), but the mortgage company pulled out as their policies changed. house re-sold for £15,000 more than my offer just 8 months later. GUTTED!

still renting. places here are just far too expensive now, regardless of earnings.

Jesus ober, that thing as a mansion! Mine is like a quaint little cottage in comparison, but ya gotta start somewhere is suppose.

I still own another block of land (4 acres) i purchased some 10+ years ago, but I doupt I'll be doing anything with it.

Well, yeah, my house where I used to live would have cost me another $200K or so... but where I live now, I got it for a decent amount.  I won't say it was a steal because it eats away a very large chunk of my salary, but it's not quite as bad as what you guys might think.  Plus I did a little magic with the mortgage and got fixed rates.

To say that I'm fortunate to have something like this at 27 with a wife and kid is an understatement.  I consider myself blessed.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.