php 5 code to php 4

feri_soft

I am not pretty sure if its a php4 and 5 compatibility problem or safe mode issue, safe mode is off both on the php5 and php4. The exact version is php 4.4.4

Here is what looks like the source. Its not the rss reader problem but i supose something between the while and foreach as all the database and rss stuff works well when removed from the foreach cycle:

<?php

define('MAGPIE_DIR', 'rss/');
require_once(MAGPIE_DIR.'rss_fetch.inc');
require_once('db.php');

$q = mysql_query("getting cats and feeds");

if(!$q) die(mysql_error());
while($row = mysql_fetch_array($q, MYSQL_ASSOC))
{
$url = $row['rss'];
$category = $row['catname'];
if (!empty($url)) {
$rss = fetch_rss( $url );
foreach ($rss->items as $item) {
	$link = $item['link'];
	$title = mysql_real_escape_string($item['title']);
	$keywords = str_replace(" ", ",", addslashes($title));
	$description = mysql_real_escape_string(strip_tags($item['description']));
	$ip = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];   

$q2 = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM `articles` where title = '$title'");
$err = mysql_num_rows($q2);
       if($err == 0){  
	   $query = "some inserts";
mysql_query($query) or die(mysql_error());
   }
}

}
}
?>

Please give me a suggestion on how to rewrite this while still keeping the functionality but have both php4 and php5 support. Thanks!

Because i dont see anything else in except the php version which might cause the problem as safe mod is off on both of the servers and pear is supported on both too and when i try the code on the php5 server is ideal but on the php 4 server doesnt do anything that is in the foreach contruction.

IF i put anything out of the foreach for exаmple between the while and foreach like echo $category; its printed. So any suggestions. I need this really much.

I dont use anything with postthis will be a script to be run as a cron for updating some rss and adding info in db. And for the database suggestion i dont quite think its the database as when i remove queries or actually move them outsite the foreach they work ideal. But yes database versions are different.

i have now found that safe mode was ON. I really dont see what can cause this confusion but in the phpinfo() its set to off...hoever from the host support they are telling me its on so i am pretty sure thats the reason. Is there a way of doing the same functionallity without having to turn of the safe mode??

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.