Programing Languages

The Little Guy

I can't think of any legitimate reason you'd need to know the scripting language a website uses, unless you're responsible for it in some way. In which case, though, you'd probably know.

For curiosity's sake, can you explain why you need to know this?

Off of the top of my head, I don't think there's any sure-fire way to figure out a website's scripting language. You could maybe scour the HTML source and see if it refers to any files with obvious file extensions. You should know, however, that file extensions aren't a dead give-away. I think it would be a pretty good security-through-obscurity measure to have Apache parse, for example, .pl files with the PHP engine.

Just search for "web scripting language stats".

I found this: http://www.dedasys.com/articles/language_popularity.html

Interesting... I wonder what people mean by "windows programming".

Additionally you could use Google Trends: http://www.google.com/trends?q=php%2C+perl%2C+python%2C+asp

People search more for PHP than ASP, Perl and Python, but there are more news references for ASP.

Interesting... I wonder what people mean by "windows programming".

If I had to guess... probably things dealing with Win32 API, MVC, and other windows specific APIs.  Dealing with items related to the Windows operating system that don't necessarily involve a specific language.  The same could be said for "unix programming"... surely you could lump the other languages into these categories, but there are specific items that fall into OS programming than a specific language.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.