Work in progress

roopurt18

I'm working on a layout for a new site.  The intended purpose of this site will be for selling a web based service.  I'm shooting for a casual, simple, yet still professional layout.  I've had Photoshop a total of less than two days, so my skills are still very basic.  There's no buttons or text yet, just a general layout.

I'm interested in your opinions thus far on my direction in layout and choices in colors.

Thanks!

I think you need some more practice.  To start, alignment.  Your left and right columns are not aligned with your header container.  Your footer should be aligned with the header.  The blues don't match.  Use the same color blue but with more or less saturation. The reverse gradients at the top do not look good. You have different margins between all containers, they should be equal. The thick borders look like crap.  Don't be discouraged, when I first used photoshop I didn't know what the hell I was doing.  Keep practicing. Follow some tutorials to help getter better aquainted with the program to start.  Then look back from another perspective and think about if it really looks any good.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

The blues don't match.

Is there a tool in Photoshop that suggest shades of colors matching the current foreground or background colors?  I'm slightly colorblind so what looks good to me doesn't always look good to everyone else.

Do you have a suggestion for the double gradient I used in the header?  Perhaps a solid banner with the gradient background.  I could drop the solid black bar and have the header blend right into the background.

Don't be discouraged...

I'm very stubborn, so I'm sure this won't be a problem.

I spent a couple hours tonight redoing my layout.  I think this one is much cleaner and a step in the right direction.

The style for "Nuv Grun" is how I'm intending to display a button when the user is in that section.

The style for "Ipsums" is what I'm intending to use as a rollover.

I appreciate all of your feedback so knock the crap out of it.

Thanks!

http://www.ibswebview.com/test/ps/layout.jpg

it does look tonnes better than the other one - so nice one for heading in the right direction.

i think my personal tastes will always dislike it though, as i'm not much a fan of gradients and "pill" buttons. Apple (www.apple.com) are the only chaps that have done it in a way i like out of any site i've seen so far

Apple is very stylish.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly by the phrase "pill buttons," but I'll assume it means the types of buttons I created.  The only gradient in my new design is for a rollover, so it's not going to be overbearing.

Maybe you'll like it more as I make updates.  If Apple is the only one who used those type of style elements that you liked, it would be some accomplishment if I could get you to like mine!  Buahahahah!

I'll keep everything in mind though, so thanks redbull!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.