4 replies to this topic

#1 Walbert

Walbert
  • New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 02:21 PM

Hi,

I was was wondering if I was going the right way about this.... I need to make a map for a shopping application where the values stores in the database would be displayed on this map... Would I be right in saying that the GD library in PHP would be able to do this. If not, could you please suggest a way to do this... Map and database information extraction.

Cheers,

Bob

#2 ToonMariner

ToonMariner
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationNewcastle upon Tyne, UK

Posted 08 March 2006 - 03:06 PM

The gd library wll do the images for you, simply use you regualr php logic to control the flow and hence generate the appropriate image.

A longer answer would take forever....... ;)
follow me on twitter @PHPsycho

#3 obsidian

obsidian
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 3,202 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 08 March 2006 - 03:16 PM

i'm with ToonMariner on this one. you can definitely accomplish what you're after with the GD lib, but there's a LOT more to it than just a "yes" or "no" answer. to try and describe the way to go about it would take a book lol.
You can't win, you can't lose, you can't break even... you can't even get out of the game.

<?php
while (count($life->getQuestions()) > 0)
{   $life->study(); } ?>
  LINKS: PHP: Manual MySQL: Manual PostgreSQL: Manual (X)HTML: Validate It! CSS: A List Apart | IE bug fixes | Zen Garden | Validate It! JavaScript: Reference Cards RegEx: Everything RegEx

#4 Walbert

Walbert
  • New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 03:19 PM

[!--quoteo(post=352874:date=Mar 8 2006, 10:16 AM:name=obsidian)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(obsidian @ Mar 8 2006, 10:16 AM) View Post[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
i'm with ToonMariner on this one. you can definitely accomplish what you're after with the GD lib, but there's a LOT more to it than just a "yes" or "no" answer. to try and describe the way to go about it would take a book lol.
[/quote]

So would the GD library take the co-ordinates from a database and dispaly them.... Say I'm looking for cake, it's on isle 2, shelf 2. Can this be show on the map??

#5 AndyB

AndyB
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,465 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 08 March 2006 - 04:57 PM

[!--quoteo(post=352875:date=Mar 8 2006, 10:19 AM:name=Walbert)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Walbert @ Mar 8 2006, 10:19 AM) View Post[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]So would the GD library take the co-ordinates from a database and dispaly them.... Say I'm looking for cake, it's on isle 2, shelf 2. Can this be show on the map??[/quote]
Yes ... but you'll need to read some of the GD documentation to figure out how to abstract one part of a larger image and display it.
Legend has it that reading the manual never killed anyone.
My site

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users