Java vs. Javascript

roopurt18

Part of my current project involves a UI that I consider fairly complicated to the point that I'm debating writing it as a Java applet vs. using DHTML and Javascript techniques.

The content area for this particular page will be a 2-column layout; I think I want the user to be able to resize the columns by dragging a separator between them.  Aside from the "normal" input elements (select boxes, radio buttons, etc), the UI calls for a horizontal toolbar, rich text editors, and a tree control for hierarchical data.

I know the toolbar and RTEs can be created using Javascript, DHTML, and AJAX, but I'm concerned about the complexity of creating the tree control and resizing the columns.  I also plan to implement features that will require data to be sent back and forth between the client and host, such as spell checking, incremental saves, etc.

I'm fairly confident this can all be done via Javascript / DHTML, but I'm wondering if Java applets would be a better tool for the job in this case.  Without any experience creating applets, it's hard for me to decide.

Your opinions?

I can't speak for Java, as I've no experience with it, so can only say what I'd do by using my normal weapons of choice...

I can't remember which, but have a look at TinyMCE and FCKEditor. (I use the former, but not explored it in detail yet) as I believe they both support spell checking and incremental saving.

As for your columns, you may find that a simple 'frameset' is the way to go. People do seem to really hate frames, but when used properly and carefully, they can look quite good. Failing that, you'd just be incorporating some relatively simple drag and drop, with the draggable "handle" being one of the sides of your columns. There are plenty of drag/drop resources out there, but generally I just use Script.aculo.us or Mootools for all that sort of stuff. (sure, there are probably others but these are the ones that seem most popular).

I tend to shy away from Java applets.  Not only do they require Java to be installed, but they often take far too long to load.

That's always been a concern of mine as far as applets are concerned.  Thanks everyone for the replies and redbull for the library links.

I think I'll do some experimenting with Javascript and see how it turns out.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.