[SOLVED] FTP Client system.

Ninjakreborn

I want something I can setup to allow people to login to a website, and connect to an FTP system.  That will allow them to drag/drop file's in for uploading.  I know it might require some Ajax, but the bulk will be PHP.  What would I search for to find something similar, or where do I need to start, to set something like that up.

I tried googling various terms, but what are they called exactly.  It's where they login, and click a link and it'll do something like launch a mini-explorer or something and from there they can upload there file's via ftp into the system.

There is a client of mine who want's that functionality on there website.

actually i've had the same idea as well. basically, just recreating an ftp client as a web-application instead of a desktop application. ajax will definitely be involved, however, i think there will be very little php.

start here:

http://www.maxkiesler.com/index.php/weblog/comments/round_up_of_30_ajax_tutorials/

theres a section on 'drag and drop' ajax tutorials in there. it should help.

you may also want to take a look at:

http://www.ecosmear.com/relay/

you may be able to hack the code and work with it.

What has always pissed me off, is I could never find straight out ajax tutorials that explain JUST about the request object.

I want to learn how to make the xml request object based on browsers, and then how to pass/recieve ajax data.

Anyone know of good tutorials for that.

That was almost it, except this method utilizes the try/catch method.  There was another method I have seen where I had some great examples in a book, but I lost the book.  So I was trying to find an alternative, the general if/else if statement when initializing the check for the xmlHTTP request object.

Do you know of any tutorials that would explain that.

Ok, thanks for all the feedback so far.

Here are the 2 situations I am thinking.

I was thinking a drag/drop interface from desktop to web application (is this even possible).  I looked over drag drop on the web, that's fine.  However I was thinking them dragging something from there computer, over into a form, and it uploading it into the form.  Sort of like the relay link you showed me (I love that functionality).

THe main thing is however, I don't want to step into the drag/drop realm yet.  I have used an ajax framework, but I want to step back to gain an understanding of the "xml request object".  all the tutorials you showed me, and everyone I found online utilize a try/catch method (which I don't like).

I am trying to get a rough idea on the 3 basic functions

1. The create an object function

2. The send a request function

3. The callback function for once the data come's back.

This is the primary theory behind the Ajax concepts, but I am having trouble understanding the general structure needed for this.

Any tutorials on that would be greatly appreciated.  I had a book on it at one point, that pointed it out perfectly, but I don't remember the name.

I have been digging through on line tutorials not (literally the first 15 pages in google, under every search term I could imagine".  I searched

ajax patterns

ajax programming

beginner ajax tutorial

ajax tutorial

ajax tutorials

ajax xmlrequest tutorial

ajax http request tutorial

and everything else I could think of, thanks for any forthcoming feedback.

dude - if you had bothered to get properly stuck into mootools, or even look for equivalents (like prototype/script.aculo.us), then you'd realise that a) they answer all of your questions and b) how offensive it is to actually take advice on board with a "pretend" thank you, yet dismiss it - this is a waste of people's time.

c'mon dude - you've been given the spoon, the microwave, the cutlery and the kitchen sink - how about trying to feed yourself now?

if your client wants a site, then spending hours/days researching what they need means you should have knocked it back in the first place - but DEFINITELY not spending that time trying to master the tiny details of AJAX calls or whatever.

There was some kind of misunderstanding, there was a specific type of xml request object tutorial.  I can't explain what I wanted.

Red you are off a little on this one.  This wasn't for a paying client, it was for a friend, I had unlimited time and it was just something I was messing around with on the side.  I work my projects, but I do a little bit of studying, and getting into new things on the side.  I understand that it sounds like I am seeking advice and dropping it,but I am not.  No I am not against using MooGoo tool's, or any of the other's that I have seen.  However I don't personally want to spend years using a good third party library of javasript, and never go back and learn how to do the requests myself.  The type of tutorial I was requested was different than either of those you showed me.  What I am looking for is a different explanation, I can't explain it better than that.  I am going to have to find that original book, there is a specific way I want to learn how to do them, where they use three seperate functions, and there's a function for creating the object that's suppose to work in ANY browser.  The original one I saw had about 35 lines of code, just preparing the object, I wanted to see that again, I just have to find the book I was reading with that example.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.