AMD or Intel for laptops

Liquid Fire

Which would you choose for buying a new laptop  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you choose for buying a new laptop

• AMD
    • Intel

I am going to be buying a new laptop as a desktop replacement, mainly bacause i want to be able to move my computer from room to room and also bring it with me when i go on trips or something.  I am going to buy my laptop from sager since it seems they have the best prices.  Now i don't care about battery life since most of the time i am going to be using this, it is going to use the AC power cord.  I have read up and it seems that right now AMD it just about better in each category i read, what you you thik?

I would suggesting getting an AMD 64 X2 if you can afford it - it's a 64 bit dual core, where Intel's Core Duos are 32 bit dual core. There's not a whole lot of 64 bit software in the Windows world, and there are still some rather significant bugs in GNU software when it comes to 64 bit, but it'll eventually get there, and you'll have a lot more processing power.

Well from sager that cost an extra 700 and well i don't think it is worth it right now.  like you said, there are not many app that take advantage of it and well i really don't think app or games are going to require 64-bit processors any time soon.  I mean right now on my p4 2.8GHZ and GeForce FX 5800, i can play any game that i want to right now without major issues(well there maybe game out there that i can't play but i just don't want to).  i think that 700 is just to much for something i will not need till i need another computer.

I would choose Mac if they were not so slow in upgrading there hardware.  right now they only have the ATI 1600, and if I were buying a laptop now I get get a laptop with the same specs, and a better processor(AMD and they do seems to have the edge with processsor power for the current time) and a much better video card(nVidia 7950 512MB Ram) for the same price as a mac.  I am going to wait till the end fo map/early jun anyways since that is when sager say they will have updated video cards in there laptop.  I take a look then and if they do and Mac is still trailing in the video card area, I will go with sager.

well i plan on going for the X2 or whatever is best at the beginning of june when i plan to buy my laptop as sager will have new video card for their laptops then and i hope those new video cards will support with DX10.  Also I will try to get nVidia if possible since the only ATI card i have ever had had some major issues getting it to work(somethign witht he drivers) and i also hear from alot of other poeple that ATI driver are not the greatest.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a Gateway with an AMD 2.2 GHZ, cannot remember model but it had 512 ram. Brand new it was slower than molasses, even with all the usual xp perfomance mods

(adjust best performance, disabling useless startup programs, 4gb virtual ram, etc)

then i ran over it with my car on the way to a Tigers game...

When it looked like AMD was going to render Intel's multibillion dollar IA64 effort (aka Itanium) irrelevant with its brassy push into 64-bit computing using an extended x86 architecture, Intel responded with EM64T. When it was first revealed that Intel had an x86-64 project in the works, codenamed Yamhill, the company at first denied the project's existence. Eventually, though, EM64T surfaced, and it proved to be a near-clone of AMD's x86-64. There are some subtle differences in calling conventions between the two processors, but the differences are slight enough that compatibility isn't usually a worry.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1860517,00.asp

• 4 months later...

I am going to be buying a new laptop as a desktop replacement, mainly bacause i want to be able to move my computer from room to room and also bring it with me when i go on trips or something.  I am going to buy my laptop from sager since it seems they have the best prices.  Now i don't care about battery life since most of the time i am going to be using this, it is going to use the AC power cord.  I have read up and it seems that right now AMD it just about better in each category i read, what you you thik?

AMD used to beat the pants off of Intel as far as battery life/energy usage/laptops went.. I think that Intel is starting to catch up now though.. so I guess it comes down to a matter of preference.

• 4 months later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.