Starcraft II Announced!!!

obsidian

I don't know how many of you have been anxiously awaiting the sequel to Blizzard Entertainment's 1998 release of Starcraft, but it's always been my favorite of the Blizzard RTS games. Yea, call me old school, but I just never could get into the whole WC3 mindset with the heroes and limited resources and such. Starcraft has always held a fond place in my heart, so I was ecstatic this weekend to hear Blizzard's announcement of Starcraft II.

IMHO, it's a long overdue addition to the Blizzard repertoire, and I for one can't wait to see it come to fruition. My only fear is that, if Blizzard stays true to form, it may be a couple years before the game is actually released :(

Anyway, I'm still a fan, and you can mark it down that I'll be grabbing this bad boy sometime shortly after it is released.

Official site: http://www.starcraft2.com

Blizzard would not be blizzard if it was not out in a few years.  I expect it to come out late 2008/early 2009, maybe even 2010

Yea, but that would be the predicted date, so it would have to be pushed back a couple times before release ;)

I hope its as good as the original. It must be around 10 years since starcraft was released and people still play it online. I am glad they are not changing starcraft, it looks more like a remake of the original. I think for this reason alone it will not be out as late as liquid fire thinks.

I hope its as good as the original. It must be around 10 years since starcraft was released and people still play it online. I am glad they are not changing starcraft, it looks more like a remake of the original. I think for this reason alone it will not be out as late as liquid fire thinks.

Yea, Starcraft was released in 1998 for Windows, so it's been nearly 10 years already. By the time the game is released, I guarantee it will have been at least a full 10 years. Did you watch the video, though? I wouldn't say it's a remake of the original at all. It's built on a revamped WC3 rendering engine, and the physics and other attributes of the game are phenomenally advanced. In addition, there are a number of other features that are very much improved, and they are an addition to the original, but not so much a remake, IMHO.

This is not just a remake and I would be disappointed.  What looks like will be mostly the same is the game play which why I think the ogirnal was so good and why it is still played to this day.  What they said will happen is there are going to be new unit for each race and the one they keep from the orignal will have new features to them.  Not to mention the graphics will be a lot better.

This is not just a remake and I would be disappointed.  What looks like will be mostly the same is the game play which why I think the ogirnal was so good and why it is still played to this day.  What they said will happen is there are going to be new unit for each race and the one they keep from the orignal will have new features to them.  Not to mention the graphics will be a lot better.

Exactly One new unit for each race and new features plus a new game engine and unit tweaking plus the new units you mentioned. Doesnt this sound like an addon??

And I dont mean this in a negative way when i say it is a remake, I am soooo happy it will look and feel like a remake because I loved the original so much.

Exactly One new unit for each race and new features plus a new game engine and unit tweaking plus the new units you mentioned. Doesnt this sound like an addon??

Actually, if you watch the demo video, there are a ton of new units including the Protoss Mother Ship that absolutely rocks. The demo a handful of the new units, but because it's such an early demo, they only really focus on the Protoss and show some highlights of Terran and Zerg.

And I dont mean this in a negative way when i say it is a remake, I am soooo happy it will look and feel like a remake because I loved the original so much.

I agree. I'm very pleased that the gameplay looks to be in the same style as the original. I wasn't a huge fan of the WC3 engine allowing for limited troops and having to focus on the heroes as much. While I know that SC also had heroes, they were handled much as other units and were critical to specific campaigns in a different way.

oh, I thought you were like you did not like it becuase it was going to be like the orignal.  I am much happier that it is going to be like the oringal and not something really different.  I think Starcraft was, and still, is the best RTS game thier is.  It has the 3 most unique races when you compare them yet all 3 race are very balanced.  Right now the only thing bad about the game is the old rendering engine.  If they were going to really change the races(or add a new one) or anything like that I would get a bit scared becuase the more they change the most chance this will become less balanced and ruin what made this game one of the best.  I think some of the best games have basically had the same gameplay but the things they have changed is storyline and tweaking feature here and there and add new feature that are similair to current ones(games like the zelda series and Final Fantasy series).

Right now the only thing bad about the game is the old rendering engine.

What??? Where do you get that? Did you watch the demo reel? It is nothing like I've seen in any other RTS game before. Not only are the graphics superb, but the physics and mechanics of the units and terrain is incredible. The Protoss Colossus they show actually can be seen stepping up and down the small cliff facing, and the Terran troopers with jet packs actually can cross previously un-crossable terrain and scale cliffs using their packs. Not only that, but when some of the aerial units are destroyed above a ramp or hill, you can actually see the physics kick in as the debris from the explosion is pulled down the ramp by gravity.

What??? Where do you get that? Did you watch the demo reel? It is nothing like I've seen in any other RTS game before. Not only are the graphics superb, but the physics and mechanics of the units and terrain is incredible. The Protoss Colossus they show actually can be seen stepping up and down the small cliff facing, and the Terran troopers with jet packs actually can cross previously un-crossable terrain and scale cliffs using their packs. Not only that, but when some of the aerial units are destroyed above a ramp or hill, you can actually see the physics kick in as the debris from the explosion is pulled down the ramp by gravity.

My whole post was about the current starcraft and including that comment.  What I menat is the only reason I would not consider the current starcraft the best overall RTS game out there now is becuase of rendering engine.  I think think is has the best races/balanced and gameplay.

My whole post was about the current starcraft and including that comment.  What I menat is the only reason I would not consider the current starcraft the best overall RTS game out there now is becuase of rendering engine.  I think think is has the best races/balanced and gameplay.

Ah, I see... in that case, I'll agree ;)

When it comes to blizzard and PC games, I don't think I have never not liked a single one(well I did not like warcraft 1 but I will let that one slide).  I have liked Starcraft(and exp), Warcraft2, warcraft3(and exp), Diablo, Diablo2(and exp) and World of Warcraft so any PC they come out with I have no doubt I will like it. 

Well World of Warcraft I don't like anymore because they have broken the end game content IMO but I did like it for about 1 1/2 years.

When it comes to blizzard and PC games, I don't think I have never not liked a single one

Same here. I have no problem counting chickens when it comes to Blizzard. True, it will take some time to get them hatched, but they very rarely, if ever, don't at least come through with their finished products.

I retract my previous state about 2010 becuase I just watch the gameplay video right now and that look to be in beta right now with the gameplay atleast 90-95% if not all done.  I think what they are going to be working on it polishing the look of the game(which is really just the images) and making sure it is as balanced as the first one.  I would not be surprised if it was release end this year near chrismas(EB has 10/1/08 but that is tier guess and I think they are trying to really overshoot it)..

I'm a huge RTS fan and currently my favorite RTS is Company of Heroes.  I'll have to give SC2 a try in a few years.

To keep you RTS gamers busy until then, Company of Heroes has a second chapter coming out in the fall called CoH:Opposing Fronts.  It's a stand alone 2nd game and doesn't require the first.  For those that haven't played the first it's argued as the best RTS out to date.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.