unexpected $end error

Foser

here is my script

My error

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end in C:\WAMP\www\Tutorials\PHP_MYSQL\Simple_MySQL\MYSQL_Insert\process.php on line 14

<?php
mysql_connect("localhost","root" , "password") or die (mysql_error());
echo "Connected To MySQL Successfully";
mysql_select_db("tutorial1") or die (mysql_error());
echo "<br>Connected To Database Successfully";

$personaldata = array("name" => $_POST['name'], "age" => $_POST['age'], "sex" => $_POST['sex']);

mysql_query("INSERT INTO personal information (name, age, sex) 
VALUES('$personaldata[name]', '$personaldata[age]', '$personaldata[sex]')") or die(mysql_error());

echo "You've submited this information. <br> name:" .$personaldata[name]. "<br> Age:" .$personaldata[age]. "<br> Sex:" .$personaldata[sex].";

?>

What is weird is that the error is on the  last line which is

?>

What could be the problem?

Thanks a lot!

echo "You've submited this information. <br> name:" .$personaldata[name]. "<br> Age:" .$personaldata[age]. "<br> Sex:" .$personaldata[sex].";

to

echo "You've submited this information. <br> name:" .$personaldata['name']. "<br> Age:" .$personaldata['age']. "<br> Sex:" .$personaldata['sex'];

to

echo "You've submited this information. <br> name:" .$personaldata['name']. "<br> Age:" .$personaldata['age']. "<br> Sex:" .$personaldata['sex'];

this worked better

but the ; thing did not because it just created a new error.

But now my error is:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE, expecting T_STRING or T_VARIABLE or T_NUM_STRING in C:\WAMP\www\Tutorials\PHP_MYSQL\Simple_MySQL\MYSQL_Insert\process.php on line 10

VALUES('$personaldata['name']','$personaldata['age']','$personaldata['sex']')"); or die(mysql_error());

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE, expecting T_STRING or T_VARIABLE or T_NUM_STRING in C:\WAMP\www\Tutorials\PHP_MYSQL\Simple_MySQL\MYSQL_Insert\process.php on line 10

I dont see anything wrong :S but then again im not a pro in php

VALUES('$personaldata['name']','$personaldata['age']','$personaldata['sex']')"); or die(mysql_error());

TO

VALUES('".$personaldata['name']."','".$personaldata['age']."','".$personaldata['sex']."')"); or die(mysql_error());

TO

VALUES('".$personaldata['name']."','".$personaldata['age']."','".$personaldata['sex']."')"); or die(mysql_error());

i've done what you've said but apparenthly there is a new bug,

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_VARIABLE in C:\WAMP\www\Tutorials\PHP_MYSQL\Simple_MySQL\MYSQL_Insert\process.php on line 10

thanks for the help.

You have an extra ";" in this line:

<?php
?>

it should written as

<?php
VALUES('".$personaldata['name']."','".$personaldata['age']."','".$personaldata['sex']."')") or die(mysql_error());
?>

Ken

You have an extra ";" in this line:

<?php
?>

it should written as

<?php
VALUES('".$personaldata['name']."','".$personaldata['age']."','".$personaldata['sex']."')") or die(mysql_error());
?>

Ken

if i dont put ; i get a seperate error

also  new error ater some tweaking

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end in C:\WAMP\www\Tutorials\PHP_MYSQL\Simple_MySQL\MYSQL_Insert\process.php on line 14

vtahst the value line

every time you use a ; in PHP it ends the command that the line started with.  whatever is to the right is considered a new line and must have proper syntax.  you can put an entire script on a single text line, but good luck in trying to figure out what it all means :P

Should it not be like this? Surely the double use of 's will cause problems.

<?php

mysql_query("INSERT INTO personal information (name, age, sex) 
VALUES('$personaldata[name]', '$personaldata[age]', '$personaldata[sex]');") or die(mysql_error());

?>

<?php

$personaldata = array("name" => $_POST['name'], "age" => $_POST['age'], "sex" => $_POST['sex']);

mysql_query("INSERT INTO personal information (name, age, sex)VALUES('$personaldata[name]', '$personaldata[age]', '$personaldata[sex]')") or die(mysql_error());

echo "You've submited this information. <br> name:". $personaldata[name]. "<br> Age:" .$personaldata[age]. "<br> Sex:" .$personaldata[sex];

?>

Dude, I would seriously read through this http://us2.php.net/manual/en/language.basic-syntax.php

Learn the basic of the syntax's. Anytime you get a syntax error you are asking for help, really syntax errors should be the least of your worries and the easiest to correct. Do some reading and learn that you cannot use a single quote inside a string surrounded by single quotes you have to escape it. Same with double quotes and that every statement should have a semi-colon after it. and that anytime and if statement is made it should have a starting { and an ending }.

That is just basics to programming, learn them first if you do not it will take you 20 years to program 10 lines of code because you always have to ask for help on any type of syntax error that is thrown.

Reading is key.

<?php

mysql_query("INSERT INTO personal information (name, age, sex)VALUES('$personaldata[name]', '$personaldata[age]', '$personaldata[sex]')") or die(mysql_error());

echo "You've submited this information. <br> name:". $personaldata[name]. "<br> Age:" .$personaldata[age]. "<br> Sex:" .$personaldata[sex];

?>

That's what I had in the beguining, it's not working.  :'(

That's what I had in the beguining, it's not working.

"Not working" covers a multitude of sins, so you really should be much more specific about the problem than that.

Looking at the code you have, it appears that you have a database table named personal space information.

INSERT INTO personal information ... 

That isn't going to work as it will be interpreted as a database table named personal and the random 'information' will be meaningless in the query string.

i changed it to personalinfo.

<?php

mysql_query("INSERT INTO personalinformation (name, age, sex) VALUES('$personaldata[name]', '$personaldata[age]', '$personaldata[sex]')") or die(mysql_error());

echo "You've submited this information. <br> name:" .$personaldata['name']. "<br> Age:" .$personaldata['age']. "<br> Sex:" .$personaldata['sex'].";

?>

I still get a $end error. I was thinking because in my html. becuase for the sex option i did a slide select menu.

<select name="select">
      <option value="M">Male</option>
      <option value="F">Female</option>
    </select>

will crachar suport this?

thanks

if you have a look at your last echo statement in your above post and count the number of double quotes you have, they work in pairs, an opening one and closing one , enclosing a string object. You have 7 in that statement which is why if you look at your code block the closing php tag is red and not blue because you string object is still open, simple syntax problems such as that should be found straight away

i changed it to personalinfo.

<?php

mysql_query("INSERT INTO personalinformation (name, age, sex) VALUES('$personaldata[name]', '$personaldata[age]', '$personaldata[sex]')") or die(mysql_error());

echo "You've submited this information. <br> name:" .$personaldata['name']. "<br> Age:" .$personaldata['age']. "<br> Sex:" .$personaldata['sex'].";

?>

I still get a $end error. I was thinking because in my html. becuase for the sex option i did a slide select menu.

<select name="select">
      <option value="M">Male</option>
      <option value="F">Female</option>
    </select>

will crachar suport this?

thanks

If i was you I wouldn't echo the "Connected To MySQL Successfully" & "Connected To Database Successfully"

I've listened to what you guys told me, But i really don't think the 2 first echos would have created an issue, but I have taken it off and also fixed the problem with my " stupid mistake.

But I get an unexpected ";" command on my line 13.

<?php

[color=red]echo "You've submited this information. <br> name:" .$personaldata['name']. "<br> Age:" .$personaldata['age']. "<br> Sex:" .$personaldata['sex'].;
[/color]
?>

the red echo is my line 13

You have an extra "." before the ";". Remove the "."

<?php
?>

BTW, using [tags] in a

doesn't work. You should indicate the line that you're referring to by adding a comment to the line.

Ken

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.