Brutal Honesty Required

black.horizons

I've made a CMS for my Hockey Club. I've tested it in Opera 9, FF 2.0, IE 7 (but not IE 6 - don't have access to it) on Windows XP.

Can any/somebody give it a run in IE6 and let me know what happens?

It's taken me since January - so I'm hoping everythings grand.

Brutal opinion and advice taken...give me it!

http://www.annadale.co.uk

nope programmed by me. i've only heard of drupal - never seen it in action, and wanted to build it myself.

only reason it's fluid is so it looks decent on most resolutions...although i've realised today that my banners are too big at 800 wide...need it to fit on a 800 * 600 screen as 10% of visitors use 800*600 - according to google analytics

Looks good.

On the Contact page, http://www.annadale.co.uk/contact.php it would be better if you returned the errors in a different colour. E.g. "The verification is incorrect" should be in blue or red.

The images in http://www.annadale.co.uk/pages/section.php?sectionID=5 could do with some margins.

I still dont like your header banner. I think you should fade it to white and have the images aligned left and right or something a bit better.

-steve

A few comments:

1) Why do you have an extra bar for the login link?  Can't you combine that with the "submenus"?

2) Use a darker background color outside of the actual content area.  It helps to focus the eye on the actual content.

3) I'm with the fixed width comment.  I think it'll actually flow much better plus it'll make it seem like you have more content (which seems a little sparse at the moment).

4) Your "verification" idea on the contact form is pretty weak.  I'd suggest using a Captcha script instead.

the extra bar is because when a user logs in there is upto ten hyperlinks involving members items - which alongside the submenu content would stretch beyond the width of the page.

the darker content area is fine a good idea - i'll change it sometime (working on the backend a bit more)

more content? 90 news articles for a local club I thought was good going - the point of the fluid width is to cover screen widths. I have a very mixed range of users runing from 800 x 600 right upto 1900 x 1200 (a lot of those both and a lot at 1024 x 768).

the verification is weak - and i developed the site on another server which supported making a captcha script - when i transferred it over i found the server didn't support using fonts to make jpgs and i don't have the permissions to change that! [ i borrowed the current idea from techcrunch's contact page ]

the errors need looked at - ive put in a lot of error captures (because the backend is used by so many various levels of user) and when i started out - instead of making an error css style - i used 

<center><p><b>ERROR</b></p></center>

which was stupid of me to do - wouldn't take 1/2 hour to change all the files appropriately. I'll change that too!!

It's pretty nice. I spent ages going to the different pages to figure out which country you were in because "Annadale" could have been American/Canadian etc. but I had a feeling it was Irish. I suppose the audience isn't people from other countries but I couldn't find Ireland mentioned anywhere except for Ulster etc. (I'm from Meath BTW)

its fine for a hockey club. you dont want anything extremely major that would take ages to complete. somethign basic is fine.

why not, add the login to the other submenus, but when the user logs in, create that second bar with all the user panel options etc. just so when normal users are browsing there is more space and it makes it look cleaner. :) other then that, a bit more photoshop to your banner would be good as well.

i would suggest re-arranging your navigation at the top, the links seem randomly placed. usually links like Shop and Links would be near the end and the other stuff to the left. News should be 2nd at least.

but otherwise, nice website. i enjoyed browsing it. :)

the links are arranged by the order that they're added to the database. the news could be second - but its not majorly important because its only an archive repository. The mens link is second [the first "database page"] because its the most hit section - according to my google analytics anyway!!

photoshop isn't my strong point, and unfortunately nobody else in the club is interested in webdesign etc - the nearest is web security! (so i'm getting ssl on soon)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.