How did you start PHP?

ConiX

I started php 2 days ago, I can't seem to find any book about php or anything. There is PHP manual on the official php.net site, I'll try with it. I tried php unleashed, the code is too messy and at times incorrect. My question is: How did you started php? Did you started with some book or something ? Or directly with examples and reading the php manual?

I started a few years ago tinkering with PHP when PHP was version 3, which lacked many of the things that we take for granted.

Then around mid January this year, I decided to get serious and start writing some real scripts. What I did was what most anybody else had to do to get started.

1. Set up a structured project with a clear set of goals and stick to this.

2. Downloaded the php manual in .chm form the the php.net website

3. I bought PHP and MYSQL Web Development  3rd edition and read it as I went along (there are many good books in recommended in this fourm)

4. Analyze your project during/after your completion to see if you met your goals and see if you could have done it differently or better.

5. Start another project!!

6. Helping others in this forum can really push your knowledge at a fast rate

That about sums it up for me, and remember, there is usually more than one way to do something.

Ps.. Create an easily maintainable writing style, this will help you immensely as you go into bigger projects.

I started with nothing but the net and several hours of "playing" with php writing little snippets. PHPFreaks have also help out a great deal too.

IMO: XAMPP is great for a test server, it has just about every thing you need to test you site on you home pc.

I've found this Installer to be the best and hassle free. As for security, I've been running xampp for about a year now And so far my system is fine. Really I only use xampp for a local Intranet testing server. If you're worried about attackers and what not, you could set up your firewalls so that it doesn't forward the SQL and HTTP ports. I had to forward port 80 through my router and firewall in order to access my intranet from another computer that wans't connected to my homes internet..

Needless to say I like it. I have no issues with it (other than no mail() abilities with out additional software). You can all try php for IIS, that is if you're running windows..

I only started like last week. ~I started because i want to make Forums, Login scripts, Poll's ect and work for sites in the future as a hobby, because i thought to my self all i do every day is go school, come home and go on msn so i thought it was pointless and thought i have to do something... then i thought do what i always wanted to do but never be bothered PHP

I've learnt few things from http://www.PHPVideoTutorials.com and a ebook i have PHP and MYSQL for the absolute beginners i can give you the ebook if you have MSN

Thats basically it.

I started using php cause some idiot that hired me to do a simple "html and java" web site started adding database's required functions on me. (yes i learned about contracts ........ the hard way)

Anyway, I downloaded a book off limewire. PHP and Mysql. Then I bought an awsome book called php mysql on apache. you should check both out at a local library or something :)

I helped some friends make their website.

I'd already been doing HTML for a few years and when I started helping out I ended up compeltely redesigning their layout for the better. They were also using PHP (it's an MMORPG site) so I read bits and pieces and picked it up as I went.

Within a week I was at a pretty decent level in both PHP and MySQL - both I'd never touched before then. What helped was the history I've got of programming going back about 26 years. I've used compilers, interpreters and assemblers over many platforms through the old 8bit computers to modern PCs and Macs.

php.net became a regularly used site as I found it invaluable for looking up functions and other stuff.

Never have bought a book on PHP, never felt the need. The only three books I've ever bought for web design was a pocket reference book on CSS, pocket reference book on Javascript and a large and easy to follow book on MySQL.

I started in December of 2006 because I wanted to create a site like this: www.mp3crib.com which I did.  Then 5 months later I got a job as a web developer.  I'd say I'm catching on pretty fast.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.