Open Source helpdesk

ober

So I've done a little research and I'm not too happy with any of the options available. So I'm wondering if any of you have used any open source ticket systems for handling client problems and if so, which one and are you happy with it?

???

EDIT: I'm leaning towards writing my own, but time is always an issue.  I never have any of it.

Eh... that runs on Perl (I'm not 100% sure my hosting plan includes Perl) and it's definately overkill in terms of what i'm looking for.  My host (ace-host.net) uses Kayako's eSupport platform (I think it's an older version or it's modded) and I love the simplicity of it from a customer perspective.

I think in the end I'll probably end up writing my own because I can never find anything I'm comfortable with.  The only open source product I've found that I'm happy with is Gallery (menalto).

Again, these are probably quite big:

bugzilla (aparently not that nice/intuitive of an interface)

horde (has a rt built in, but has a lot of other stuff also. e.g. email etc.) perhaps you could extract the rt system out of it.

-steve

We use bugzilla where I work.  I love it, but that's not quite what I'm looking for.

I use horde for my webmail through my host and I'm not crazy about that either.  It's buggy and slow IMHO.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Well, I'm not really looking for a bug tracker. Again, that's a little overkill for what I'm considering. I just want a simple "post problem, see response" with various status and maybe a knowledge base I can build on.

Thanks for the suggestion.

EDIT: this is kind of what I'm leaning towards:

http://www.troubleticketexpress.com/ or http://www.simpleticket.net/ (there was another one I have bookmarked at home that I can't find now)

i say write your own. I've developed my own "work order system" that I use at my 9-5.  You can add whatever features you like and personalize it for exactly what you need it for.  Shouldn't really take that long to create.  Plan out the DB and create a user interface and you're good to go.

Yeah... that's what I'm leaning towards.  My problem is that I'd start working on something like this and end up writing 90 little features into it and never be happy with it.  And I'd of course have to throw a bunch of tricky AJAX into it.

That's my issue with my current CMS that I've been developing on and off for over a year.  I try to get tricky with it and hit a brick wall from time to time and then keep plugging new stuff into it.  I've written several modules for it already but by the time I get one to the point where I'm fairly happy, I realize there is something I could add to it or I realize there's another module that would be useful and so now I have like 10 open modules, none of which are completely finished.

And then there's that "time" issue.  Maybe I should stop sleeping... that's an extra 6-8 hours per day!  :)

Actually, there is.  In Kayako's suite, when you start to type in the "problem" box, it will keep scanning the knowledge base for answers that match what you're typing.  That has solved a few problems for me.

Plus I know I'd find other valuable uses for it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.