OMFG some people just dont get it?

Crew-Portal

Okay so I have been working with this one guy for about 3 weeks making PHP scripts for him. Now all of a sudden he fires me and tells me to get a life and that he doesnt want to talk to me again. In MSN he sets his sig to "Adlai Stop Acting So Immature!" so being the immature one I write in my sig now openning "Company Name". So he ccontacts me and gets all pissed offsaying its his idea and that I cant take his name. But I was technically the first to put that name in the PHP scripts and I made the scripts so technically its my name. By he insits other. Then he says okay fine take that name if you want I feel that it is a stupid name and you can have it if you want. So I say okay. within about 1 hour I get 10 programmers on teamspeak and we all start talking about opening this company giving away free PHP programs, like forums and stuff! Now he hears about my sucess and says that he is going to sue me for using the name. But once again I told him I was the first to make any programs and that my name is in the scripts, and that if he contacts me again I will trademark the name. (Because I know someone in the Pantent office in Virgina, US). then he starts sending me spam on MSN all saying "Let it be known that on this (Date, Time. *His Name*) Founded "comany name"". So I say okay thats great, and he continues to send me spam. Then he starts watching my actions on TS viewer and telling me what I am doing on teamspeak. So I remove the server from the tsviewer program, and then he starts getting mad because I banned his subnet from my teamskepak server. So my question to all of you at PHPfreaks.

Do you think I should Trademark the name just in spite of this guy, and If I do is there any legal action he can take against me? This guy just makes me sooo... Angry! Thanks, And please post to my long comment!

I would agree with bilis_money.

If you get into a pissing match, make sure you wear a rain coat. ~Anonymous

If you feel he is going to take it to the courts, check with a lawyer or legal adviser to see what rights you have.  You could also change the code that you have done to make it so he cannot use it.

Since we don't understand what started the whole thing, an unbiased opinion cannot be made as to what course should be taken.  Was this other person a good friend that decided to turn on you?  Maybe its just jealousy.

Whatever happens, don't stoop to his level.

If he paid you for your work, then the scripts, including the text within, belong to him.  Sorry.

That alone does not make him the owner of the scripts. Yes, that is usually the agreement reached between the contractor and the client, but there is nothing that makes him the owner by default. I've worked in several jobs where the company was paid for work, and the resulting product remained in the company's ownership.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.