Simple OOP Help

ryan.od

I'm attempting to use OOP for the first time in PHP and cannot get the following code to do anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated:

<?php
class Menu
{
	public $text;
	public $url;
}

$menu_footer_array = array();

$menu_main1 = new Menu();
$menu_main1 -> text = "Products";
$menu_main1 -> url = "products.html";
$menu_footer_array[0] = $menu_main1;

$menu_main2 = new Menu();
$menu_main2 -> text = "Services";
$menu_main2 -> url = "services.html";
$menu_footer_array[1] = $menu_main2;

$menu_main3 = new Menu();
$menu_main3 -> text = "Contact";
$menu_main3 -> url = "contact.html";
$menu_footer_array[2] = $menu_main3;
?>

Really, I'm going to be pulling the text and url info from a db, but until this straightforward attempt works, I'm stuck. I try to output this as follows:

<?php
include("../oop/menu.php");
?>
<div id="footer">
<ul>
<?php
	for(i=0; i<menu_footer_array.count(); i++){
		echo('<li><a href="' . menu_footer_array[i] -> url . '">'> . menu_footer_array[i] -> text . '</a></li>');
		echo('<li> | </li>');
	}
?>
	<li>© 2007 <span class="red">Made</span> Products Inc. All Rights Reserved</li>
</ul>
</div>

You're using count wrong - that is how you might do it in Java. In PHP you need to pass the array you want to count as an argument to count. Also, in PHP variable names have $ in front.

These are correct:

$menu_footer_array

$this->text

What is the purpose of your class? Is it just to act as an hash that you could access later? YOu could easily use an associative array to do the same thing.

But your code seems to be sound. The error may be what jesi pointed out

echo('<li><a href="' . menu_footer_array[i] -> url . '">'> . menu_footer_array[i] -> text . '</a></li>');
		echo('<li> | </li>');
	}

to

$count = count(menu_footer_array); //remove this from outside of the loop, it doesnt need to be evualted on every iteration
for(i=0; i<$count; i++){
		echo '<li><a href="' . $menu_footer_array[i] -> url . '">' . $menu_footer_array[i] -> text . '</a></li>';
		//echo('<li> | </li>'); im not sure what this line is doing and i removed the parens from the echo. WHile not illegal, it isnt an expression
	}

I think include needs to be in the form

include ("/full/path/to/file.php");

instead of

include ("../to/file.php");

The main reason I can think of for this is that because with "includes" it is hard to be sure where any one file is actually being executed from.

To help though you could try to

echo ("\n<p>I've been included</p>\n");

inside of the included files (at the bottom, for preferance ;))

What is the purpose of your class? Is it just to act as an hash that you could access later? YOu could easily use an associative array to do the same thing.

But your code seems to be sound. The error may be what jesi pointed out

echo('<li> | </li>');
	}

to

$count = count(menu_footer_array); //remove this from outside of the loop, it doesnt need to be evualted on every iteration
for(i=0; i<$count; i++){
		echo '<li><a href="' . $menu_footer_array[i] -> url . '">' . $menu_footer_array[i] -> text . '</a></li>';
		//echo('<li> | </li>'); im not sure what this line is doing and i removed the parens from the echo. WHile not illegal, it isnt an expression
	}

Furthermore you have to change

to

echo '<li><a href="' . $menu_footer_array[$i] -> url . '">' . $menu_footer_array[$i] -> text . '</a></li>';

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.