PHP 4 or 5?

Shaun

depends on whether you're developing on it for clients, or using it for yourself. if it's the former, then you need to be careful that their server can/will support PHP5. if it's the latter, there's absolutely no reason not to. all your PHP4 stuff is generally compatible, maybe just requiring the odd tweak if any. things with PHP5 just seem more, well, "polished", not to mention the additional OOP support and tonnes of useful extra functions.

as many big hosts now support php5, i tend to find it fairly easy to either convince clients of a host move (as they're having a new site anyway) or to host it for them.

blimy.. didnt realise i was so behind on everything  :P

it's not just you. my host is one of the largest in the UK, yet have only just upgraded all of their main packages and default server packages to PHP5 and MySQL 5 (from php 4.3.1/mysql 3.2.23 - so even mysql is lagging also)

considering the benefits of php5 (including performance and development), and also considering that if any changes are required to take a site from 4 to 5 they're generally very minor and simple, it's more surprising that php5 has been so slow to be adopted.

blimy.. didnt realise i was so behind on everything  :P

it's not just you. my host is one of the largest in the UK, yet have only just upgraded all of their main packages and default server packages to PHP5 and MySQL 5 (from php 4.3.1/mysql 3.2.23 - so even mysql is lagging also)

considering the benefits of php5 (including performance and development), and also considering that if any changes are required to take a site from 4 to 5 they're generally very minor and simple, it's more surprising that php5 has been so slow to be adopted.

Isn't the issue with most hosts that they were still running php 4 with register_globals turned on? Thus upgrading to php 5 and having them turned off ends up breaking a lot of peoples websites? Personally i think it's their own fault, though i can understand the problem a web hosting company might face!

so... why did the poll disapear thorpe?

Because it was a link to an external poll, posted in a thread in our polls board. You gave the impression the poll was hosted here. Some people (myself included) might not like being tricked into redirecting to another site.

Isn't the issue with most hosts that they were still running php 4 with register_globals turned on? Thus upgrading to php 5 and having them turned off

When I built my first website using php I write the scripts as if register_globals was off.

When they changed to php5 I had absolutely no problems. However, for a while one or two functions had bugs, so I needed to find workarounds. These were simple functions, so the worst part was locating the errors.

I wanna know before I go upgrading..

Shaun

Obviously you should use PHP5. PHP4 is deprecated. PHP6 is coming soon and will replace PHP5. You might just want to wait until then before upgrading, if you're the lazy type and don't like to change things very often.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.