How do you remember the codes?

bilis_money

Is your memory is very sharp to remember everything after you are finished learning a php topic, functions or a specific combination of statements?

Me? no!, after i finished learning it after few weeks i will forgot them and need to review them again using the manual.

mmm, do i need to take Brain vitamins? LOL  ;D

How about you what do you do to retain your learning with php?

Or are you a gifted child to remember the codes forever LOL  :D

thanks  :D

For me, the syntax is as second nature as typing. I always have to do the same exact things, so it didn't take long to remember them for good. For functions, it's just a matter of remembering and following patterns and remembering from repeated usage. I can't often remember the order of arguments with the multi-parameter functions, so I find myself having to reference the manual very often.

I can't often remember the order of arguments with the multi-parameter functions, so I find myself having to reference the manual very often.

You should get a proper IDE. I use Zend Studio; the only time I have to look in the manual is when I can't remember how a function or feature behaves. Which luckily isn't too often.

even if you know all the functions in php if you dont know how to code properly and logically it will be useless i look at the code of PHPMYADMIN and i have to say i dont like it its dirty for me but thumbs up no error

codes is my art so i make it clean and nice thats the only thing im proud of since im not pro in programming

I can't often remember the order of arguments with the multi-parameter functions, so I find myself having to reference the manual very often.

You should get a proper IDE.

I've found that autocompletion (also known as Intellitype, in the Microsoft world) is often more of a drain on my system's resources than its worth to me. I've got a very efficient system worked out, with shortcuts that make the whole process very fast, so it takes only second or two to get all of the information I need.

I've found that autocompletion (also known as Intellitype, in the Microsoft world) is often more of a drain on my system's resources than its worth to me.

I agree. I have recently started using e-texteditor on my windows machine. Which is supposed to be the windows equivalent  of TextMate. It was a bit of a pain to get it working with cygwin  but so far it has been more then worth it. It is light weight and supports customizable auto-completion.

Normally, when working on my windows box, I keep a chm copy of the manual open in the background for easy access. This makes life much easier. I do this for everything that I normally work with ranging from php, js(prototype, scriptaculous),ruby and python.

You should get a proper IDE.

I've found that autocompletion (also known as Intellitype, in the Microsoft world) is often more of a drain on my system's resources than its worth to me. I've got a very efficient system worked out, with shortcuts that make the whole process very fast, so it takes only second or two to get all of the information I need.

Are you kidding me?  What the hell kind of computer do you have that you could possibly make that excuse. 

Are you kidding me?  What the hell kind of computer do you have that you could possibly make that excuse. 

A Pentium M 1.8 GHz laptop that's two years old and starting to wear out very quickly. I used to have a full-blown desktop with an AMD 64 3200+, and it never failed when I needed it to step up and perform a task. Including autocompletion. But for some reason, the laptop just won't play nicely. I know very well what I'm talking about - please don't infer that I'm a liar.

A Pentium M 1.8 GHz laptop that's two years old and starting to wear out very quickly. I used to have a full-blown desktop with an AMD 64 3200+, and it never failed when I needed it to step up and perform a task. Including autocompletion. But for some reason, the laptop just won't play nicely. I know very well what I'm talking about - please don't infer that I'm a liar.

not calling you a liar, but I seriously doubt autocomplete will cause any computer lag. 

I've been programming c-syntax-style languages for about a decade now so the syntax is very natural, so natural that it sometimes creeps into my regular typing.

I remember very well things that I do often, such as using certain functions, code libraries, etc. so I rarely have to look them up.  My IDE saves me the trouble of looking up the order of function parameters, but even when I'm not using it I can find them in 2 or 3 seconds.

It will save you some time if you can remember absolutely everything, but very few people can do that.  The trick then is to have the information handy or have a system of finding what you need quickly.  Some sites provide cheat sheets that are useful, I have a couple printed out but truthfully I rarely refer to them.  Let's say I'm doing something with arrays and want to know if a certain feature is built in, like sorting.  I'll just hop to google, search for "php array" and the top hit is "PHP: Arrays" in the manual.  Going to that page, there is a list of all the PHP functions dealing with arrays.  Using FF, I just ctrl + f (shortcut for find) and type "sort"; then I select "highlight all."  Now I can quickly scroll through the page and easily see every thing about arrays and sorting.

I have to look at the PHP manual once in a while when I forget which order certain arguments go in a function or forget how to display the date/time in a particular way.

Usually happens when i haven't used a function in a while and I need to refresh my brain on it.

It's a language, like any other.  If you've gone about learning any language foreign to you (especially if you've spent any long period of time in a country where the native language isn't your own) you start to appreciate that your brain has a very special layer that lies beneath whereever language lives - a place where it develops the idea that it wants to convey, before using a language to convey it. 

Programming and scripting languages are simply that: language constructs (with very strict syntax and grammar!) for communicating with an operating system, or a compiler or other program running on it.  That you wrote your question at all is eveidence that you have the capacity to program or write scripts without wondering where the knowledge is coming from.

Its like riding a bike. Once you learn it you got it. It may take a few seconds but you'll get it.

I don't think that analogy works at all for programming. 

Why not?

If you were to take a break from programming, never see anything programming-related for many years, you would have a pretty difficult time getting back into it. I used a combination of PHP 4 and 5 for about a year, and had no problems with keeping the differences in mind. But then I switched to PHP 5 exclusively for ~2 years, and forgot all of the things I needed to know about keeping PHP 4 code free of PHP 5 features, and I found myself with broken code, with no idea of what was going wrong.

I never learnt to ride a bike...

Slightly off topic i know, but just thought i'd throw that in there :P

You should. :) Even if you don't really have a desire to ride afterwards, you would get a huge sense of accomplishment from it. And if you ever get in a life-or-death situation where you need to ride a bicycle, you'd be all set! :P

You should. :) Even if you don't really have a desire to ride afterwards, you would get a huge sense of accomplishment from it. And if you ever get in a life-or-death situation where you need to ride a bicycle, you'd be all set! :P

Haha, true. On the down side, i'd look rather like a tit as an 18 year old trying to learn to ride a bike! I blame my parents, they gave away my bike before i properly learnt to ride it. Im deprived :P

I've found that autocompletion (also known as Intellitype, in the Microsoft world) is often more of a drain on my system's resources than its worth to me.

I agree. I have recently started using e-texteditor on my windows machine. Which is supposed to be the windows equivalent  of TextMate. It was a bit of a pain to get it working with cygwin  but so far it has been more then worth it. It is light weight and supports customizable auto-completion.

Normally, when working on my windows box, I keep a chm copy of the manual open in the background for easy access. This makes life much easier. I do this for everything that I normally work with ranging from php, js(prototype, scriptaculous),ruby and python.

wow cool looking editor. Is there an open source one that acts like etexteditor?

I am downloading the trail version now

*viewed the license page, great stuff!

Dude! I love this editor! It is lightweight, fast, and very robust. It plugs right into windows' native file browser, so using Tortoise is a breeze! I like eclipse, but it feels like bloat, and a lot of it. And for some reason Java apps always feel a step or two slower than native-code ones. IDK

I am recommending that my job buys licenses for all of the developers for this app.

Thanks

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.