computer programming language similar to web programming?

chiprivers

Hi guys, not so much a PHP question but the people that help here are the people I want to ask!

I am looking at trying to learn a language that will enable me to write some programmes similar to what I have done on the web but as stand alone applications on a PC.  I would like to know what language I should look to learn that may be similar in syntax and construct as what I have used for web programming.  I am used to using the basic HTML with PHP and MySQL with small amounts of Javascript.

I want to be able to producte a windows based application, if that makes sense.  Is there any PHP programmers out there that also do some computer programming and that can recommend a language to start with that is not disimilar to what I am used to?

I use VB and VB.NET, and both were easy to transition to PHP.

Concepts are the same, just have to learn the differences.

I have found a tutorial for Visual Basic which details an application called Microsoft Visual Basic to use for programming, should I already have this as part of my MS Office installation else can I get it for free?

I use VB and VB.NET, and both were easy to transition to PHP.

Concepts are the same, just have to learn the differences.

I have found a tutorial for Visual Basic which details an application called Microsoft Visual Basic to use for programming, should I already have this as part of my MS Office installation else can I get it for free?

I would stay clear of any of the VB languages. And no, Visual Basic (the program) is not part of office, nor is it free.

Another few languages to consider are Python or Ruby. They are both cross platform and easy to learn, and because they are interpreted you don't need a compiler.

What I want is something that I can pick up relatively simply due to its similarity in syntax to what I have already used and a language I can write with in the same way I am used to, ie in a text editor?

C/C++ is your best bet

With C and/or C++ will this procuce an windows based application? by that I mean can I create layout of elements in a window similar to how you would do in a browser display?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.