To phpfreaks staff

in the last two days i have seen two posts about the same topic.

In the past I have seen this topic too.

It is about one of your tutorials, the pagination tutorial has

some bugs that need fixing.

Take this post as an example,

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,172351.0.html

Someone else and I provided a fix for that user.

Can someone please fix the tutorial so that the people

who follow it don't come across this issue?

Thanks  ;)

Unfortunately, just posting "fixed" code that worked for you without a statement of what exactly you changed in the code, does little to help.

That tutorial was written in 2002. It is doubtful that without a list of what needs to be fixed, that anyone, even the original author, would have much success in fixing it.

Besides what you might have found, the code is dependent on register_globals being on and probably does not work on many servers today and it won't work at all under php6, when php6 is released.

We actually have several active mods that help with the tutorials.  The pagination tutorial is very old and should be considered as such.  If you'd like to write a new one, you can send it to me and I'd be glad to post it for you.  At that point we can disable the old one.

How about a How To that instructs people on How To Write a Tutorial? I've seen a few posts asking for one as well.

And I remember having answered a few as well. You just need to know HTML, <code> for code boxes and [PAGEBREAK] for page breaks. I'm not sure if regular users have permissions to add a tutorial though.

We actually have several active mods that help with the tutorials.

I think you, Ron and Eric are the only people who can edit everybody's tutorials.

You have, but wouldn't it be nice to have a Guide that explains it rather than having to reply to posts asking about it?  The tutorial count is not growing, it almost seems like a wasted feature if no one submits anything.

How about a How To that instructs people on How To Write a Tutorial?  I've seen a few posts asking for one as well.

And I remember having answered a few as well. You just need to know HTML, <code> for code boxes and [PAGEBREAK] for page breaks. I'm not sure if regular users have permissions to add a tutorial though.

The tutorial count is not growing, it almost seems like a wasted feature if no one submits anything.

Well I don't see it much a point if it grows or not. Users just come on a post every little bug anyways, when it would be much faster to make a simple test. :S

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.