Which is the Best WYSIWYG text editor?

crystaleye

Hi folks,

i am looking for an open source WYSIWYG text editor which allows me to customize settings like to set or unset the bold option (by default) or with other html tags within that text editor. I found the fckeditor but thats very heavy and takes time to load. Any light-weighted and simple-to-use editor would be fine with me. Can you guys please suggest me which one is the best for use in php applications?

Have you tried TextPad? It allows a lot of customisation.

He's talking about a browser-based editor... something you'd plug into a CMS or similar.

I use this one: http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/

I'm fairly happy with it.

He never said that. He said he was looking for  WYSIWYG text editor which doesn't make any sense. -- Therefore Siggles said "textpad".

I say notepad.

He said he was looking for  WYSIWYG text editor which doesn't make any sense.

Sure it does. WYSIWYG is "what you see is what you get" - in the context of text editors, it means that you don't have to edit the formatting (HTML) manually. Whatever you see on the screen is what will get shown in the final result - the browser, in this case. I don't think there are any, but if there were a document format that was purely XML or other text-based markup language, you could write and format your own documents in plain text, or you could use OpenOffice (or equivalent) to write it and format it as WYSIWYG.

He's talking about a browser-based editor... something you'd plug into a CMS or similar.

He never said that.

He mentioned that he used fckeditor, but found it too heavy - FCK Editor is a product very similar to TinyMCE, so I'd wager that ober was on the same page.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.