Terms of Use

TheFilmGod

I'm creating a Terms of Use for my website. I went to several websites and looked at their terms of use, but I don't know what half of the terms mean - like "indemnity" - what does that mean?

So I was hoping that someone out there knows a good tutorial or page on the web that explains what a good Terms of Use should include.

Oh, and I did search Google, except actual terms of use documents come up...

Here's a tip/trick for google searches: when what you want isn't showing up, try adding terms that won't match the pages you're seeing. For example, "terms of use" will give you a whole lot of websites' TOS agreements. However, if you search for "how to write terms of use", you stand a better chance. Almost half of the results on that search are in the vein of what you're looking for.

The two pages I looked at seem to be in agreement that you should read some existing ones and compare them. The other pages may have other ideas.

And in the event that you do start to compare pre-existing TOS agreements, you should find a dictionary so you can look up any words you don't know. (http://www.dictionary.com is excellent, and free, as is http://www.merriam-webster.com/.) When it comes to legality, you really don't want to make assumptions. (For the record, indemnity is defined as "protected against future loss".)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.