At least not much got lost

They're a bunch of losers and amateur programmers. Just take a look at their register script and their "CAPTCHA":

<form name="registerfrm" action="" METHOD="post" onSubmit="return ValidateForm()">
		Username: <br><input type="text" class="textbox" id="user_name" name="user_name"><br />

<br />
		Password: <br><input type="password" class="textbox" name="password1"><br />
		Confirm: <br><input type="password" class="textbox" name="password2"><br />
           <p><small><font color="red">For your security, test your password strength <a href="pass_check.php">Here</a></font></small></p>

Email: <br><input type="text" class="textbox" name="email"><br /><br />
		<!-- Your Verification Code: 2bd5c -->

<!-- Your Verification Code: TW96a -->
           <!-- Your Verification Code: GJ96n -->
		Your Verification Code: cflyk <br />
		Please Enter The Verification Code: <br><input type="text" class="textbox" name="code"> <br /><br />
		<input type="submit" name="cmdRegister" class="button" value="Register Now!">
		</form>

Morons...

PS: What's the link to the post you created? I'd like to see it.

Hmm.. all of our sigs and website links in our Profiles got linked to them.  I'm sure that is enough ammo to do some IP tracing.

As far as I'm concerned there is no legal proof that the owners of darkmindz are behind the attacks.

This will of course spark a huge discussion, but from my experience at phpfreaks (which has been awesome), there are many really good web programmers here.  So why...

(1) Is this site not more secure?  I would image all of you would know more about cross site scripting attacks, injections, etc than most people.

and (2) why don't you use those skills and do us all a favor by taking down their site?

cgm, you have a good point. To address them though:

1, The main site is very old and therefore vulnerable, and recent attacks have meant it has been taken down. The new site is being developed as we speak, with security heavily in mind. SMF, on the other hand, we have not much control over as it's a 3rd party system.

2, Because two wrongs don't make a right, etc. There is a very very strong case for legal action should PHPFreaks owner go down that road. However, getting one's own back would blow a case completely out of the water.

It's a shame that people feel the need to hit a free community, considering many of the people I'm sure would have gotten help from here in the first place in their early days, but shit happens.

Newbs or not, can't be hacking them without some proof it was them, and if there is proof, then the people here should go to the police, not hack them.

It could very well be someone who has a vendetta against them, and is just trying to get them in trouble by hacking this site and framing them.

No, but depending on the countries in which the attacks took place, and and where the servers are located, there are police that can be contacted.

Rest assured that all of the "authorities" have been notified... just don't hold your breath.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.