Any chance of a name change?

Date Registered:  January 18, 2004, 12:02:09 PM

When I registered, DeadOnArrival was my usual online handle - but I never use it any more... partly due to the fact I was 14 at the time and the name no longer appeals to me, and partly because I use another name and it's just a lot easier - I always forget my username on PHPfreaks is different :)

Anyway, if it can be done could my login+/display name be changed? I'll PM the name if it can be done (Just in case someone registers it first)

I'd just register a new name, but I don't want to lose my posts and old messages etc :)

Thanks in advance

So I'm stuck with the same lame nickname? ...Lovely

"Act that your principle of action might safely be made a law for the whole world." -- Immanuel Kant

As of this posting the forums have 60,100 members. Imagine the havoc that would ensue if we changed your name and a fraction of our member base requested the same ("Well, you did it for them..."). All of these requests would be transfered onto the shoulders of the admins, who are volunteers (read: free labor) and have their own jobs, families, hobbies, and so forth.

If your name is that much of a burden, starting over shouldn't be a problem.

Just curious, can someone request their account be Deleted?

This should be a possibility... admins?

Just curious, can someone request their account be Deleted?

I would have to double check but I think anyone can delete their own account without having to request it. It should be in your profile under actions.

edit

After some thought we have decided to no longer allow users to delete their accounts.

If someone wanted to change it after a month or two I'd agree, but I've had the name for 4 years - surely exceptions can be made for accounts that have been around a while. Not because I'm a "loyal member" or something - I don't want favouritism for being here a while - but just because circumstances change.

Based on a rough skim of the member directory, over 6,000 people have 300+ posts; that's a scary number of potential name-changers.

Correct me if I'm wrong admins, but I don't think deleting an account deletes the associated posts? If that's the case, all of your posts would still exist.

Deleting of the account does not delete the posts, but the new account he creates would not retain his old posts... which I think is what he's after.

And bottom line is, we don't grant these "favors" because it creates confusion and overhead. 

And you can "delete your account", but it must be approved by an admin and we currently are not approving them for the above reasons.  People can reinvent themselves and provide a false identity to those that would have previously steered clear of said person.

So I can't delete my account, I can't change the name and I can't make another name... I'm stuck with one identity for life.

It gets to a stage where I dislike such an immature name that I'm drawn away from a forum that uses it (the irony that I'm getting slightly immature in my stubbornness in this thread isn't lost on me!) - I don't want to be known as DOA anymore, I'd rather use a name I'm trying to build a reputation for (and I just like more)

Is it so bad that I want people to be able to attribute my advice to the name I use professionally. I'd even keep "Formally known as DeadOnArrival" as the tag under my name if people are that bothered about avoiding me!

I'm pretty sure it was mentioned, but I'll say it again. Your request is not the problem, the precedent we set by granting the request is the problem. We are not denying your request because it lacks merit, or because we have something against you. We are denying your request because we deny all such requests, and to approve one request would only open the floodgates.

There is nothing that you can say (within the realm of reason) that will make us change our minds. We don't change names.

I think neylitalo said it best:

I'm pretty sure it was mentioned, but I'll say it again. Your request is not the problem, the precedent we set by granting the request is the problem. We are not denying your request because it lacks merit, or because we have something against you. We are denying your request because we deny all such requests, and to approve one request would only open the floodgates.

There is nothing that you can say (within the realm of reason) that will make us change our minds. We don't change names.

topic locked