36 replies to this topic

#21 Jessica

Jessica

This is not my name.

• Gurus
  • 8,982 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

I don't think he has any ideas he wants to get off the ground. I think he just wants to talk. 
My goal in replying to posts is to help you become a better programmer, including learning how to debug your own code and research problems. For that reason, rather than posting the solution, I reply with tips and hints on how to find the solution yourself. See below for useful links when you get stuck.

How to Get Good Help: How to Ask Questions | Don't be a help vampire
Debugging Your Code: Debugging your SQL | What does a php function do? | What does a term mean? | Don't see any errors?
Things You Should Do: Normalize Your Data | use print_r() or var_dump()
Lulz: "Functions should not have side effects." - trq

Please take a look at my new PHP/Web Dev blog: The Web Mason - Thanks!!

#22 hyp3rkyd

hyp3rkyd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

What is there to discuss if you don't show anything? That's where the disconnect is.

And no one is denying that you have the right to try to find people (although, technically, it may fall under the freelancing section here), it's just that finding quality people is hard to do. In the vast majority of cases, one's view of their own abilities is radically skewed. People generally think they're incredibly skilled when they're not, or not skilled enough when they are.

That's why things like your brain-wiki and your questionaire aren't good tools for recruitment. They're, by definition, non-objective, and if you're looking to do real work, you'll need to be able to actually judge people on what they can do, not what they think they can do. Similarly, people should be able to get an idea of your own skill level. You don't even need to reference any of your project ideas. Take something completely unrelated and get feedback.

I dunno. It just seems like a completely ass-backwards way to do it if you're truly interested in getting your idea(s) off the ground. But, whatever.

With no sarcasm or snark, good luck in finding people.

Kevin,
I really appreciate your time for explaining these things to me even If I am an unknown person and I have very few posts in this forum.
So, taking for granted that everything you say is right, what do you suggest? It will take me months to create something completely new and post it in github or something. If you have something in mind please make a suggestion. I am looking into quality people indeed.

#23 hyp3rkyd

hyp3rkyd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:55 AM

I don't think he has any ideas he wants to get off the ground. I think he just wants to talk.

What made you think that ? And what's the point of starting a new thread with this subject? Makes no sense..

#24 Jessica

Jessica

This is not my name.

• Gurus
  • 8,982 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

What made you think that ? And what's the point of starting a new thread with this subject? Makes no sense..

I think that because you haven't articulated that you HAVE a project to work on, all you've said is you want to talk to people. You don't want to put in several months of work to attract people, you just want to talk to people now.
I wasn't saying it as an insult.
I also didn't start a new thread, I replied to Kevin. 

Honestly, YOU make no sense. 
My goal in replying to posts is to help you become a better programmer, including learning how to debug your own code and research problems. For that reason, rather than posting the solution, I reply with tips and hints on how to find the solution yourself. See below for useful links when you get stuck.

Debugging Your Code: Debugging your SQL | What does a php function do? | What does a term mean? | Don't see any errors?

#25 KevinM1

KevinM1

Snarkimus Prime

• Moderators
  • 5,196 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

Kevin,
I really appreciate your time for explaining these things to me even If I am an unknown person and I have very few posts in this forum.
So, taking for granted that everything you say is right, what do you suggest? It will take me months to create something completely new and post it in github or something. If you have something in mind please make a suggestion. I am looking into quality people indeed.

Well, it doesn't have to be anything new. Anything you feel that showcases your talent would be enough. Are there any old/not finished projects that you could show?

Recruiting people online is difficult because there's no way for anyone to actually judge your character or ability without seeing some sort of proof. It's easier to do it in person because it's easier to just talk or show sketches on-the-fly, and dialogue and direct interaction means a lot.

Having seen what you sent me in the PM, I think you do quality work. I, myself, don't have the time to dive into a new project, but I think what I saw of yours is good.

Would you be willing to post your current employer's site as an example of the overall quality you provide? I followed the link in the footer of what you showed me, and seems similar enough in terms of look and feel for a general idea.

#26 hyp3rkyd

hyp3rkyd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

Well, it doesn't have to be anything new. Anything you feel that showcases your talent would be enough. Are there any old/not finished projects that you could show?

Recruiting people online is difficult because there's no way for anyone to actually judge your character or ability without seeing some sort of proof. It's easier to do it in person because it's easier to just talk or show sketches on-the-fly, and dialogue and direct interaction means a lot.

Having seen what you sent me in the PM, I think you do quality work. I, myself, don't have the time to dive into a new project, but I think what I saw of yours is good.

Would you be willing to post your current employer's site as an example of the overall quality you provide? I followed the link in the footer of what you showed me, and seems similar enough in terms of look and feel for a general idea.

The link in the footer you followed is not my employer's site, but a "virtual" business I have built that I use as a portfolio. I work in a great international company as an I.T. also and in parallel I create websites and graphics for others and for me.

I am very busy also to dive into a new project. I want to build this community slowly, in my free time along with other people that would like to share the same ideas. I have much to offer but I want to be as much sure as I can for the people.

#27 hyp3rkyd

hyp3rkyd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

I think that because you haven't articulated that you HAVE a project to work on, all you've said is you want to talk to people. You don't want to put in several months of work to attract people, you just want to talk to people now.
I wasn't saying it as an insult.
I also didn't start a new thread, I replied to Kevin.

Honestly, YOU make no sense.

How do you meet unknown people that you would like to cooperate to something ? I suppose by talking. Can't see what is wrong with talking.
I have many projects that I work on but I didn't mention something about my projects or "recruiting people to work for me". I mentioned a private community that everyone would offer his/her knowledge to the other. So the main subject here is quality knowledge exchange.
And you are right, I want to talk to people now to have a chance to form a team.

I didn't mean to offend you, so there is no reason to be sarcastic.

#28 Jessica

Jessica

This is not my name.

• Gurus
  • 8,982 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

Once again: It wasn't an insult, I didn't say there was anything wrong with it, and I'm not being sarcastic. Stop reading into my text and just read it. 

#29 hyp3rkyd

hyp3rkyd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

Once again: It wasn't an insult, I didn't say there was anything wrong with it, and I'm not being sarcastic. Stop reading into my text and just read it.

If you say it to help, well thanks. It's good to hear your opinion and Kevin's too. It's helping me to see what's wrong with my request here.
No offence here.

#30 premiso

premiso

Trollololol

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,969 posts
  • LocationHairy Beaverville

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

I am offended. 
Did I assist you? Feeling like contributing to my gaming addiction?

Assist with my gaming addiction! | Free Flash Games | lxt Article Site

#31 Jessica

Jessica

This is not my name.

• Gurus
  • 8,982 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

No, premiso, you are offensive. *pat pat*

#32 premiso

premiso

Trollololol

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,969 posts
  • LocationHairy Beaverville

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

you are offensive.

That is what I said wasn't it? 
Did I assist you? Feeling like contributing to my gaming addiction?

Assist with my gaming addiction! | Free Flash Games | lxt Article Site

#33 hyp3rkyd

hyp3rkyd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

I do not see any interest so I suppose I must take seriously what Jessica and Kevin said. So I will come up with something handy.

#34 hyp3rkyd

hyp3rkyd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

If anyone is interested, pm me and I will show you my work.

#35 hyp3rkyd

hyp3rkyd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:07 PM

Some people have been gathered and a website was build to let anyone show his interest: http://mystharbor.com

We have gone ..further :)

Edited by hyp3rkyd, 28 August 2013 - 04:08 PM.

#36 .josh

.josh

.josh

• Staff Alumni
  • 14,815 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:27 AM

Does your club have secret decoder rings?

Did I help you? Feeling generous? Donate to me! || Donate to phpfreaks!
Please, take the time and do some research and find out how much it would have cost you to get your help from a decent paid-for source. A "roll-of-the-dice" freelancer will charge you $5-$15/hr. A decent entry level freelancer will charge you around $15-30/hr. A professional will charge you anywhere from $50-$100/hr. An agency will charge anywhere from $100-$250/hr. Think about all this when soliciting for help here. Think about how much money you are making from the work you are asking for help on. No, we do not expect you to pay for the help given here, but donating a few bucks is a fraction of the cost of what you would have paid, shows your appreciation, helps motivate people to keep offering help without the pricetag, and helps make this a higher quality free-help community :)

#37 hyp3rkyd

hyp3rkyd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:00 AM

Does your club have secret decoder rings?

not yet, but sounds like a nice idea. Most of the hackerspaces I've heard of, have rfid systems for unlocking the doors, so I suppose it's just the beginning... rfid secret decoder rings...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Cheap Linux VPS from $5
SSD Storage, 30 day Guarantee
1 TB of BW, 100% Network Uptime

AlphaBit.com