Virtual Airline Website

maxudaskin

There's not too much to be seen there, but as i dont like how u started it, guess i wont like it finished. I can see ure going for a simpler look, but it doesnt mean it will look better. Have any graphic in the header, add some colors, some gradients and try to make it more attractive. It is way too basic for my opinion.

What would you personally do to make it better?

No offense to you man, but your signature picture is very disrupting.I know you are proud of the site you created (you should be, it's pretty decent) but being stuck up and saying "CEO" just bothers me. What you created is not a full blown corporation, and a 1 or 2 person business doesn't mean your "ceo" and "president." If the purpose of the picture is solely for advertisement then it miserably fails.

Going back to the topic...

I would add a crap load of icons/pictures, spice it up w/ some orange or other bright colors. Add padding, create a "Site Tour" as I, and probably millions out there don't even know what your site is about. Expand the footer. Create a picture for you logo, not text - maybe an airplane?

• 3 weeks later...

WARNING DRUNK RANT I GUESS HAHA...

[first site]

first off, its kinda hard to get a peice of the site to catch your eye to figure out where to figure out what your looking at...in other words its like looking at an EXCEL spread sheet with random letters and numbers in them...(the bar might have something to do with that  ::) )

second, I think it would be cooler if you took the latest departures and arrivals and tried to make them look like the screens in the terminals maybe a dark div with those ugly yellow and green colors on the right maybe towards the bottom or something like <a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38022000/jpg/_38022586_afp300screen.jpg> this</a>. and make a div element you can hover over with to show the pilot/ship details. then maybe have that main div area for news or events for the VA itself.

dont get me wrong dude its a real clean site and very good job...if I were dev'ing thats what i'd do...make it kinda visually relate to the context of flying with an airline.

good job tho man!

[new site]

speakin of the bar..didnt see your new link. 

as far as the new one, dispatch, operations, and possibly forum would be really only something within the org would need, and all you would do, on the landing page, is direct them to a login page...

maybe since its a VA have links to what FS platforms you run, what you have to provide to the simmers since you are really trying to sell the page to them, not people who google looking for a wing view on a FS session.....

one thing is dont be afraid to check out deltava.org or others to steal some trade secrets..  when i simmed first things i wanted to know was things like what do they offer me for FS04 and how were the guidelines set up...

but once again clean site, and great job.

sorry about my lack of sobriety right now, so im goin to bed but good luck man!

Look at all that inline CSS:

<div id="body_menubox">
<div style="background-color:#FFFFFF; text-align:left; border-bottom:#333355 1px solid; cursor:pointer; padding-top:10px; padding-bottom:10px; padding-left:10px; color:#000000;" onMouseOver="this.style.backgroundColor='#333355'; this.style.color='#FFFFFF'" onMouseOut="this.style.backgroundColor='#FFFFFF'; this.style.color='#000000'" >Home</div>
<div style="background-color:#FFFFFF; text-align:left; border-bottom:#333355 1px solid; cursor:pointer; padding-top:10px; padding-bottom:10px; padding-left:10px; color:#000000;" onMouseOver="this.style.backgroundColor='#333355'; this.style.color='#FFFFFF'" onMouseOut="this.style.backgroundColor='#FFFFFF'; this.style.color='#000000'" >Human Resources </div>
<div style="background-color:#FFFFFF; text-align:left; border-bottom:#333355 1px solid; cursor:pointer; padding-top:10px; padding-bottom:10px; padding-left:10px; color:#000000;" onMouseOver="this.style.backgroundColor='#333355'; this.style.color='#FFFFFF'" onMouseOut="this.style.backgroundColor='#FFFFFF'; this.style.color='#000000'" >Operations Centre </div>
<div style="background-color:#FFFFFF; text-align:left; border-bottom:#333355 1px solid; cursor:pointer; padding-top:10px; padding-bottom:10px; padding-left:10px; color:#000000;" onMouseOver="this.style.backgroundColor='#333355'; this.style.color='#FFFFFF'" onMouseOut="this.style.backgroundColor='#FFFFFF'; this.style.color='#000000'" >Flight Dispatch </div>
<div style="background-color:#FFFFFF; text-align:left; border-bottom:#333355 1px solid; cursor:pointer; padding-top:10px; padding-bottom:10px; padding-left:10px; color:#000000;" onMouseOver="this.style.backgroundColor='#333355'; this.style.color='#FFFFFF'" onMouseOut="this.style.backgroundColor='#FFFFFF'; this.style.color='#000000'" >Head Office </div>

<div style="background-color:#FFFFFF; text-align:left; border-bottom:#333355 1px none; cursor:pointer; padding-top:10px; padding-bottom:10px; padding-left:10px; color:#000000;" onMouseOver="this.style.backgroundColor='#333355'; this.style.color='#FFFFFF'" onMouseOut="this.style.backgroundColor='#FFFFFF'; this.style.color='#000000'" >Forum</div>
</div>

:D :D

• 3 weeks later...

Yucky! - Inline CSS!  :'(

The 1st thing I would do for sure, is put the inline CSS into an external .CSS file. This then prevents the web browser needing to download the CSS each time. (Saving Bandwidth!)

If I was you, I would also keep the site's body text to a minimum - Myself (and I expect others agree) hate scrolling through masses of only to find that what your looking for is mentioned.

The main page (homepage/index) should feature everything you site offers, even if it is covered only briefly - This will encourage users to click, to find out more!

If you require further help PM me! I like making suggestions!

I hope this helps,

Dave

Furthermore, you should read some articles on short coding css.

You don't need to declare padding-left: 5px; padding-right: 10px; padding-top: 15px; --> when this will suffice:

padding: 15px 10px 0 5px;

Declaring text-align is a waste, since it's the default. Unless you are overriding the a non-default.

While I think you certainly cleaned it up a bit, the site is pretty bland and boring. You need to add at least one more color for some contrast to spice things up a bit. Not sure what will go good with the purple you are using. You don't have any real content, so it is hard to give a final critique on typography, but the text just seems to run on and on.  You need to find a way to break it up a bit.  Usually some type of grid and some images can do this for you. i don't know what purpose the text below the menu serves but it contributes to the problem of runon text.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.