A good project to get started with

Stevo11

Hi all, I've been learning php for a few months now and am pretty confident with it. I really want to get stuck into a php project that will involve a number of php aspects. Basically I'm after a few ideas to start me off. All ideas are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Steve :)

A freind of mine suggested making a blog and expanding is at I go. I agree it will be a good project to get going with but I was hoping that there would be something a bit more snazzy :P Although I don't want to get ahead of my self lol. A blog might just be the way to go...

I expanded my first gallery script in to something quite impressive.

It has album support, slideshow support, movie support (with thumbnails ever <x> seconds)

This came out of necessity. Whenever we do something as a family extended family wants PICTURES. More pictures! So, I set up a family intranet for family to view all of the wonderful photos my wife takes of us (especially our daughter) on all of our events. It's become quite a hit.

Imagine, we'll be visiting something similar years down the road when then grandkids come over. They're going to be like.. wow, this is lame, using such an ancient technology ;)

I personally started learning PHP by running a open source browser based game made in PHP, its called Dragon Knight, you can learn alot from it, and other games like it, and eventually you will be able to add your own features once you understand the scripting.

Now after learning from 3 open source browser based games, I am in the middle of making my own game in PHP, and you learn a lot from making your own.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

What I generally recommend to someone wanted a "test" project is a Personal Management System with some basic beginner features and build onto it as you learn more about what your doing.

Something along the lines of a personal management system that can:

* Add/edit/delete/sort/filter Contacts

* Add/edit/delete/sort/filter notes

* Add/edit/delete/sort/filter to do list(s)

Once you get that up and running from trial/error you will know what you need to about PHP and Mysql to be able to expand it far beyond those basic features.  From there you could start adding in a recycle bin where deleted objects get categorized and then sent to the recycle bin.  After 30 days they get deleted unless you purge them from the system before then.

Once those features are done you can expand it even more by adding new modules after that.

One pretty challenging thing you might find really exprience increasing is changing frameworks in the middle of the project.  Start using it in Codeignitor (or your own framework) and when it's done move it over to cake.  The act of changing it from one framework to another and ironing out bugs as you go not only teaches you how to setup/use those other frameworks but teaches you a lot about how PHP works from application to application.  Then move it back to code ignitor, then back to cake, then back to the one you started on.  Each time you'll notice differences in the applications but the way they are setup are the same.  Meaning you'll get to the point where you can function your way through an existing app by just being able to pour through the codes, examples, and forums and piece together what you need about how something works.  Allowing you to make changes to already existing apps which is a good skill to have.

Either way good luck.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.