Website

Taxa

Ok, so, the idea of this site is to allow users to post anything they want. Of course, there are many sites like it, but I just wanted to give it a go. I approached this to have a very simple design, not to much color or design because all of the comments will vary in color and style. I have had a lot of varying critiques from other people already, and generally speaking, they vary from good to bad comments. Now, the site just an hour ago, has been emptied of all comments. It had about 8 pages of comments (8 * 30) but needed to be emptied because of a couple of flaws that was apparent as you surfed through them.

Please, feel free to leave a comment on the site (would appreciate it if it weren't anything to do with this topic).

www.alitabit.com

kinda plain ... you should put the text editer above the comment text box

Do you understand thought the reason why it is plain? Ofcourse, right now, there arent enought comments with varying color, but when there is, it wont look very plain anymore. If there was color on the site, it would create some serious contrasting problems with the text. Unless, ofcourse, I have over thought it?

I give this site a giant fail.

1) Hovering over the navigation links makes the links disappear (text goes to white on a white background)

2) The logo is awful and looks like it was designed in under 2 minutes.

3) There are a million editors that provide full functionality for editing posts... why did you reinvent the wheel (and poorly at that?)

4) You couldn't even generate your own captcha?

5) The search function is poorly written.

6) There's no style.  It's just random text in random areas with no containing area.

7) Get thought by ID... yet you don't show the ID anywhere except on the single thought.  You could at least create a text permalink.

I give this site a giant fail.

1) Hovering over the navigation links makes the links disappear (text goes to white on a white background)

2) The logo is awful and looks like it was designed in under 2 minutes.

3) There are a million editors that provide full functionality for editing posts... why did you reinvent the wheel (and poorly at that?)

4) You couldn't even generate your own captcha?

5) The search function is poorly written.

6) There's no style.  It's just random text in random areas with no containing area.

7) Get thought by ID... yet you don't show the ID anywhere except on the single thought.  You could at least create a text permalink.

thanks for the reply

A couple of questions and thoughts:

When you say that the links disappear, they don't, now, I'm not sure if your getting some kind of error, but whats meant to happen when the mouse is over the button is, the background box of the text goes blue, and the text turns to white. Is this what you get or does the background stay white and the text turn white? Because I've had that happen to me before, and I'm not sure weather or not to take your reply in consideration because of this.

You say the id only appears once? You can click text in the "Thoughts" tab and you will be directed to a page that contains the thoughts number and url link.

You talk about random text in random areas? What is that suppose to mean? all the text is centered in a table, perfectly balanced, not "randomly placed" in a thoughtless way unless your using some sort of screwed up browser.

The logo looks like its been done in 2 minutes? Well it has, and I agree that it isnt that special. Its about twice the size that it is on the website, and because it is scaled down when on the page, it gets some pixelation.

Who said I was trying to reinvent the wheel? I havent found a post editor yet that fits my intentions, and honestly, this achieves what I want for now, Its not like I'm not open to change

Now, the thing is, I don't know if I should take your crique because I'm not even sure if you've seen the site that I put up, or just had some screwing errors.

I prefer IE6 over IE7+, but I prefer FF over IE xD. Anyway, yeah when I hover over the links the text turns white (and yes I'm using FF). I think you should change the link color to a more similar color (with the black & white) like gray. And the thoughts page just has a random kind of layout :/

I like it, except the colors. Make the buttons at the top dark gray I think, and when you're on that page make them light gray. Also the links for the thought of the day shouldn't be blue or purple. I think they should be gray too :)

Unless you want it more colorful then boring ol' me. :P

I like it, except the colors. Make the buttons at the top dark gray I think, and when you're on that page make them light gray. Also the links for the thought of the day shouldn't be blue or purple. I think they should be gray too :)

Unless you want it more colorful then boring ol' me. :P

Just to say, the thoughts are taken out of the database with the font types as well on the front page. So its blue because the actual thought color is blue, if someone made it red, it would be red etc...

I will ponder on your suggestions, thanks!

The site is down.

And in response to your response to my response (haha)..

The background stays while when the text color changes to white... this should not be a cross-browser type issue.  That's web design 101 stuff.

And I don't really care how many times the ID appears, no one is going to look up a "thought" by the ID.  Period.  End of story.

I meant that your site doesn't have any definition.  Give it some lines, give it some borders.  You don't have any defined "areas" that focus the eye.

Achieving the goal != user friendly.

And I'm using FF3.

Yeah serverman, IE8 is terrible....  I have to run it in IE7 mode or like every webpage in the world freezes.  (I suspect it had to do with Google toolbar, but...)

Anyway, back to the topic:

http://www.alitabit.com/index.php?cmd=1  Just look at that page.  Everything blends together, and all of those colors clash.  (Your search page looks the same.)

Yeah serverman, IE8 is terrible....  I have to run it in IE7 mode or like every webpage in the world freezes.  (I suspect it had to do with Google toolbar, but...)

Anyway, back to the topic:

http://www.alitabit.com/index.php?cmd=1  Just look at that page.  Everything blends together, and all of those colors clash.  (Your search page looks the same.)

Thanks for your reply!

I agree with the whole color clash. So I got rid of the current logo and replaced it with just simple white text. I think that it solves the problem...

Thanks guys loads for your feed back!

I just changed the site again! I have selected different colors as Kate suggested, as well as Corbin (and other feed back sources).

And as ober suggested very early in this topic, a rich text edit tool for editing a user text.

I would really like to get your feed back on the new color scheme.

OK, I decided to take the site down. I think that this idea will work, and I will publish it in the near future with an official design (all of the designs were made under 2 minutes) and many of the suggestions that you guys, and others have made!

I will start a new topic in the future regarding the site!

Thanks heaps guys for your advice, critiques, and suggestions!

All I can see is "This site is under development" followed by blurb.

A word of warning: People rarely revisit websites that are under construction. The best thing to do is take the site down until atleast one page is complete. (Though the completion of the whole site is better)

Hope this help,

Dave

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.