how to force user to insert the cd to run the application

hassank1

I am working on a cd ..

the cd contains a setup .. the user open it and install the application to his pc

however, I want when user try to run the application .. to check whether the correct cd is inserted , and if no ..  to show a msg box "please insert the application CD".

I prefere a C# code .. however , if you think you can help in anything , no matter how small is it .. post a reply ..

thx

plus in addition, not to be rude also, but applications that require the CD to be in defeat the point of me having a big hard drive that i can install everything onto so i don't need to keep swapping disks. aside from installing software in the first place, the only CD that I ever want in my drive either contains music or is a DVD. sure - copy protection, etc - find another way. having to insert the CD is just very annoying and very inconvenient.

Not to mention the "Please insert CD" reminds me of when games came on floppy and I had to keep swapping between levels...*sigh*

yeah . I know what u mean

however , I am doing that as a protection for my cd .. I am trying to keep some files on the cd and the user will be unable to copy them .. and must read them from cd..

I think u r right about the c# forum !! however , I really like phpfreaks site .. that's y I post ..

btw thx for reminding me about the floppy games :P !!

tc.

but "PHP"Freaks is for....um.....PHP...you really would be better getting your c# answers elsewhere.

in any case - personally - a quick Google search will find thousands upon thousands of links that either a) offer ways around having the CD inserted or b) have many questions about how to get around having the CD inserted. There are many nicer ways of copy protection that aren't so inconvenient.

Can we say virtual cd emulator? LOL good luck in your endeavor.  If you're trying to keep people from pirating your software, I suggest you look into other means, such as requiring online registration, or possibly even splitting your program up into a client/server app.  But...I have seen crackers get around even that, by making their own server program that caught outgoing packets from the program and pretended to be the real server. 

This is a really bad idea, it dos not protect your application just make people look for a hack and then you loss sales.  Protected software like this is the biggest waste of time because it will be hacked no matter what if the software is popular and it only takes one person to put in the work to hack it and once that is done, it is super easy for everyone else to do it.  I mean i someone can use a product without have to make sure the cd is in the cd rom illegally compared to having to use the cd-rom then a lot will do it illegally(I would just not use the product useless i have to have it 100% and just find a different one)

Photoshop gets pirated because it costs $56756758 and is used by 99% of graphics people. The truth is, Adobe WANTS their software to get pirated, because they want it to have a huge user base, and for their competitors not to - same for Windows and Mac. Sure, Adobe wants your money, but if your not going to give it to them, they still want you using Photoshop. At least then your not learning another graphics, recommending it to other people, funding and their competitors. Even if you never buy a copy, they know that you might get someone else too, or get your company too, or make a tutorial, or, at very least, not buy anything else. Imagine what the Flash game world would be like without software piracy.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.