URL Link Conventions

proggR

What is the best way to format the URL?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best way to format the URL?

• site.com/example.php?terms
    • site.com/example/terms

What way is the best way to format the URL? Passing variables through POST and having them listed after a .php file or having it appear that it is in folders? I know "terms" is incredibly vague and there are likely dozens of other formats. I'll add some if I can if people post them.

all thsi extra work for SEO, well pisses me off, why the hell cant crappy google understand url variables, thats why i always use yahoo and peopel that use google from a statistical point of view in university i went to they didnt get verry far, teh only reason i use google now is that it doies have more results and clients like it but there not as acurate as yahoo. i think so anyways, you can use mod rewrite

Perhaps Google's built in spell check would have done you some good in your post secondary affairs.

And I'm not a fan of Yahoo. Its too crowded on the home page and too blank on the search pages. Google has a nice feel to it and I don't think I even have to start talking about its actual performance. I do think they take some weird approaches to some things but they do what I want them to well. Search.

And feel free to not use any SEO on your site. Nobody said you had to.

Sell who what? Your clients SEO? Google the index of your site? If the former, thats a terrible way to do business and if the latter, I highly doubt Google cares, especially since nobody has made it to your site since its not listed well within pagerank.

Girls are time. Time is money. Money is the root of all evil. :. Girls are evil.

The time is money thing is dumb because if you're working for a client of course its money, but its also your job to make sure you've SEOd the site for them. And if its your own website you should be looking at the ROI for yourself. There is no valid argument against it. You either do it and have a site worth your while that will reach people, or you don't do it and try thinking up a way to spread it without a search engine. Yes social networks now help that a lot but how will that first person find it without a search engine? How will someone that doesn't use social networks find it? I don't know why this thread turned into an SEO discussion though. Its about URL naming and mod_rewrite.

Girls are time. Time is money. Money is the root of all evil. :. Girls are evil.

The time is money thing is dumb because if you're working for a client of course its money, but its also your job to make sure you've SEOd the site for them. And if its your own website you should be looking at the ROI for yourself. There is no valid argument against it. You either do it and have a site worth your while that will reach people, or you don't do it and try thinking up a way to spread it without a search engine. Yes social networks now help that a lot but how will that first person find it without a search engine? How will someone that doesn't use social networks find it? I don't know why this thread turned into an SEO discussion though. Its about URL naming and mod_rewrite.

just because you dont use modrewrite dosent mean ur site is unsearchable, u will be ranked only slightly higher with modrewrite its not that big of a deal its one or two positions, all modrewrite does is makes more pages for ur site on google and makes those words in that url moded into proper searchable url words, those words are usualy gona be item_id or somthing its not that big of a deal. its only google that reads urls that way and disreguards any varibles.

if you enable mod rewirte theres no point unless you write your url's that way because even if your url is blah?blah=blah and modrewrite changes it to blah/blah/blah the client still has ?blah so google still has blah? that means u have to rewrite every url in ur application thats outputed to the page, and for what a few ppositions, i dont think its worth it. it also depends what type of site your making ?

social networks are not a good way of spreading sites they destroy ur reputation make ur site into a spam site. anyone who spreads sites like that is a nonse

people will still have to use the same key word and all it will do is bring up more pages from ur site tahts it.

dont support mod rewrite this is google making APACHe adapt to there needs

this is why i refuse to use 3rd partry javascript libraries i dont mind mambo wikimedia etc but these frameworks make you conform to there capabilites they slow you down, conforming to mod rewrite will slow you down, it will limit you and all for what ? a couple of extra pages flooding teh results in google ? its not worth it if they want ur site they will find it just by its homepage or any other normal page results, if ur site floods the results people will hate your site

time is relative and its finite so you can give time to people it costs money, when things take longer to do at work they should cost more, nothing much these days is done out of teh good of the heart i feel where you are comming from, there arnt many people that are gona care wheather you use mod rewrite or not.

If you were a mechanic, I wouldn't take my car to you. Likewise if you're a contract web developer, I hope people don't take their business to you. Doing the bare minimum and leaving the client with something that may functionally work but is essentially useless is, well, useless. They've pretty much paid you for nothing. As a web developper coding for SEO shouldn't be some add-on to your services and another charge in and of itself, it should be included in your price. It doesn't even come down to the goodness of my heart. It comes down to proper business ethics. And you'll learn that either way. Freemarkets intentionally weed out poorer service so what may look like its getting you ahead will end up costing you in the future. I'd rather have a respectable name known for good service than a small job here and a small job there grabbing money while I can.

coding for SEO is standard i code for SEO, but i dont code for google, that costs extra its a deviation from standards, if you were a web developer i would pay you to turn the many thousends of billions of legacey systems that work perfectky fine without ur "SEO" into mod rewrite url based apps

No.

What I mean by that, is that in publishers/developers' efforts to provide SEO friendly (i.e. semantic) URIs, search engines have had more reason to attribute more value to URIs.

Thus, SEO friendly URIs have become a self fulfilling prophecy.

That's kind of what I meant I just worded it terribly.

SFP reminds me of psychology class. Fun fun :)

i dont think they attributed more emphasis on URL URI because of developers writing them that way, developers write them that way to hack the fact that they have put more emphasis, i read an article saying they did this because the other data was too easily rigged to top the lists so URL's were put more emphasis on in order to stop them hacking the algorithms, they ssay  they use primarily the URL and then the domain name age etc and inbound url counts etc,

using mod rewrite dosent give you a higher page ranking, it makes your dynamic pages visible to google because google rejects ?variables so you trick google into thinking your dynamic page url is actualy a static page url.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.