taking soo long to load

peranha

Why is it taking soo long for pages to load.  I am getting pages in like 60 seconds.  I am on a 8MB cable connection, so it isnt that.  All other pages work fine, just this site loads real slow.

Page created in 67.951 seconds with 10 queries.

Anyone else having this issue???

Here? The "page created in x seconds" message is how long time the server took to generate the page. It has nothing to do with your connection. mysqldump takes up quite a lot of resources on the hourly backups, so if you request a page during the 1-2 minutes it's running then you'll get slower response times.

If that occurred on the full hour, it is because either a lot of automated traffic hits the site to grab the latest posts/statistics or the site is doing some automated database operations.

See:

mysqldump takes up quite a lot of resources on the hourly backups, so if you request a page during the 1-2 minutes it's running then you'll get slower response times.

I wasn't gonna say anything but since it got brought up...starting about a month ago, about 1 out of 10 requests have either been taking forever to load (60-90s) or it just times out altogether.  I'm here pretty much all day and night; it happens regardless of the time.  Only pattern I can really see is that 1 in 10 or so requests. 

I wasn't gonna say anything but since it got brought up...starting about a month ago, about 1 out of 10 requests have either been taking forever to load (60-90s) or it just times out altogether.  I'm here pretty much all day and night; it happens regardless of the time.  Only pattern I can really see is that 1 in 10 or so requests. 

I've never had that happen.  Only exactly on the hour.  It takes almost a minute to load right when the hour changes, but otherwise it's fast.

It has been happening for about a month, but I dont think it is that often, maybe 1 in 20-25 requests.  I was going to see on the hour change if that makes a difference or not.

The backups are run on the hour, I'm quite sure, because I have issues from xx:00 to xx:02 ;p.

Just of curiosity, why is the DB backed up every hour?  I mean I would hate to lose some interesting posts, but every hour?  I would think like every 3 days would be good lol.

The reason why we have hourly backups is to minimize any loss that might happen. I remember one time where some people complained about a few posts being lost even when we had so frequent backups. Backups every three days is way to rare for such a large database IMO. If we take the last three days then we had 2532 posts, 481 topics and 156 new members.

Besides, in relation to server load it doesn't matter how often we do it. There will still be a latency once in a while. We have plenty of space for the backups. We keep a backup for a week so we always have 336 (one for the main site and one for the forums) backups stored.

Anyways, I have a solution already, but I just can't use it. I need an additional server for database replication. Backups will then be run on the slave server which will then take all the load.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.