date time format ?

SirChick

I have a question about date time format... im told that after the year 2038 they will pose some kind of problem due to the size of the number or something like this!

This is the quote i read from a guy on a forums:

You must change them if you think that your program will be alive in 2038. What is exactly the problem of Unix time I don't know. I read that the Unix time cannot represent dates after 2038 year. I think that it is the problem of number of bytes designed for date_time. Unix stamp = number of seconds passed after 01-01-1970 till current date.

Is the guy mis-informed? Can any one explain to me slightly more detailed what he means by this problem just out of curiosity here.

edit: yes im aware by then im sure it won't matter due to new allowance of more bits as technology increases (im assuming its related to 32 bit operating systems that limit it at the moment) but just wanted to know tis all.

The problem isn't that code written today is going to be used 30 years from now. It's that there is code being written now that may have to handle dates 30 years in the future -- think mortgages -- normal mortgages run for 30 years, so there may already be software that needs to handle this.

Ken

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.