I NEED TRAINING

M477HEW

Hi everyone.  This is my first, of many, postings at this great forum.

I'd like to learn more about php/ sql and want to know the best path for learning with regards to hands on training.  I've had some limited exposure to both of these technologies, but have only manipulated existing code, so am still a beginner.  I'd like to become profICient in both these areas and have done a little research on how best to achieve this.  However, the best (only) kind of training i can find is through private colleges and these guys seem to want a hefty sum for their courses and they are usually run over a matter of days.  I'd like to find something a little more stretched out and have chance to work on assignments so that I actually absorb some information.  I've attempted reading books on the subject but I have so many questions  that it would be much easier to find tuition where I can get immediate feedback.  can anyone offer any suggestions higher ed courses that include php / sql?  I live in the north of England (County Durham to be exact)

Thanks guys, all advice and suggestions are much appreciated

I'm self-taught in every aspect of programming that I know (and I program in like, 7 (maybe more, I didn't count just now) different programming languages, so I think it worked out pretty well).  I mean, I certainly learn a thing or two from some of the forum posts, but nothing really 'new' in PHP anymore.  It's just about practicing with the technology hands-on and really taking time out to understand what you're learning.

The only time someone taught me PHP was in 1 class in college but it consisted of only half the semester.  I've learned more in my internships and work than anything else.  You just have to dive in a learn.  Getting help and trying to help other people will certainly teach you a thing or two.  Just hit the books and start pressing some keys.

In all honesty, the best way to learn is such:

(1) Decide that you're going to develop a blog.  Doesn't have to be about anything particular.  My blog is used to post my latest programming achievements (sites completed, complex code that I finally solved, better ways to do things, etc.)

(2)  Know that you're going to program it in PHP/MySQL.  Buy a domain name and some space.  Domains are cheap, and you get great hosting from http://www.webhostfreaks.com or http://www.serverpowered.com.  The first has a starter package at 3.99 per month and the second has great priced VPS all the way up to dedicated. Personally, I'd go with one of the lower packages off of webhostfreaks or a vps, and upgrade as you need.  Both sites are owned by PHPFreaks, and so when you upgrade (whether to bigger specs or between sites) you never worry about lose of data.

(3) Find a tutorial (try to go OOP because you don't want to get stuck in procedural) that teaches you how to build a blog.  Go through it (don't copy and paste, actually learn what you're doing).  If you want to go straight to framework download CakePHP and use this link: http://book.cakephp.org/view/326/The-Cake-Blog-Tutorial

A blog will give you the basic understanding of sessions, cookies, authenticate, forms, display/insert/edit data in relation to a mysql database, etc.

Once you do that, go back and see what you can add. RSS?  MySQL Optimization?  Live stats?  Read your favorite feeds from other blogs?  Just have fun with it.

ya, the best I learn is when I decide I want to make a website, then you will run into some walls, and once you figured out a plan to build a latter to get over the wall, then you know you can accomplish any task. Build a game website, with a custom CMS.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.