web game built from scratch

iarnazca

The website is

www.nazcagame.com

It is obviously not finished.

i set up a test user

username phpfreak

Password freaky

Using the test user only the first person to use it will get the full effect of my scripts that are running.  So, for your own essay, it is better to register.

I am also looking for php scripters who are interested in designing a website.  I dont care if your a beginner, because so am I.  Interested in becoming a dev on this site?  Maybe some money making attributes in the future as well. email me iarnazca@gmail.com

"Success!  Go here!"

Why not auto redirect?  Also, when ever you go to the game without logging in, it's very plain.  Why not have it match the rest of the site?

"You have new mail!2388Your empire has been created!

Now you can playYou have been given a planet as your home world. Go to planets screen to view it."

2388???

The frame setup looks kinda crappy.

Your map thing loads extremely slowly in Chrome.

Bit of a boring register page don't you think?

I agree with corbin, the game screen is crap. Crappy default links and Times New Roman font. Ew.

Hm... Also, perhaps more of a description of the races on the page. I gathered what a human was, but the others...

Remove borders from images. Looks yucky.

Why are you loading images from an external website?

Overall.. I was pretty confused. I suggest you add a tutorial page. Include more information on the pages and perhaps links to a "How to [...]", where [...] is whatever the action the user is performing...

Then again, I don't really like text-based games, I always seem to struggle with them.

Make a favicon (Google it)

The username / password boxes aren't positioned correctly.

Also, I personally do not like having site counters on the bottom of the page, especially those made out of GIF images.

The general design from the top down looked promising, but the consistency immediately is removed from the links down.

Keep at it :)

Thanks guys.  One thing i'd like to state is the way the website looks will be the last thing I smooth out.  At least I've planned it that way.  Plans change on the fly, right?

@corbin

I dont know why I didn't auto redirect.  I just like to get things working.  I consider it to be in the alpha phase right now.  when the game runs and you can actually try to achieve a goal, then I will consider it to be in the beta phase and I will smooth out the way EVERYTHING looks.

"You have new mail!2388Your empire has been created!

Now you can playYou have been given a planet as your home world. Go to planets screen to view it."

2388???

That page could use a little bit of editing.  :-[ the 2388 is the planet ID of the new planet you have recieved, in its row. I have that in there for my own essay and it will be removed on a later date.

@ProjectFear

The pages will need to be spiced up.  I do agree with that.  And I guess i'll have to change up the game screen.  Another thing I did was code it while using Firefox to view it.  In IE it looks different.  Borders. green font. fixed at a later date.

I have not written a history for the races.  I only have a general concept of what they are in my head.  The main thing I know is there will be 3 major races.  A militaristic race - Their star fleets have an advantage in combat. A A race that has beautiful attributes. (Sort of derived from elves in most fantasy creations.)  They will be good engineers and entrepreneurs. They get a bonus on the recources they gather and money they make.

lastly (the race i have so cleverly dubbed humans) will be the average of all things race.  they are between the two extremes on each scale.

I may not even call them races after this.  I may just make them factions of Humans.

The images I found on google and are in use until I can get my own photo shopped images.

It definately will need a tutorial.  I plan on keeping it simple but just the same keeping strategy involved.

Then again, I don't really like text-based games, I always seem to struggle with them.

Cant help that until I get my mind control powers from God. =]  (Just kidding)

@ILMV

I plan on redesigning it completely using css ONCE i get the game mechanics working at least on a beta level.

A favicon would be nice. =]

@all

I am a marine in iraq.  I do have little time to edit everything.  Thats where my game mechanics takes priority over its good looks comes in.  I work hard on it and try to update it at a regular pace, sometimes it just dont work out though.

Thanks every one.

One quick note. Make it so when you logout, its in the same browser.  I got a logout note in a seperate browser window and it kept the other one running. Then you get a "Sorry this page doesn't exist yet. =\" when you keep trying to play. Would look better if you got a confirmation of the logout then were auto directed to main page. 

Doing great though. return home safely

• 2 weeks later...

I found this error output at the bottom of the page. I'm on Mac FF3:

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nazca/public_html/game/pubheader.php:15) in /home/nazca/public_html/game/header.php on line 6

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.