confiscating MP3 players

serverman

Is it legal for a school to confiscate ones MP3 player? In my state (FL) It is legal for us to have cell phones(off) at school but as far as i know their are no laws on MP3 player but school district says no you can not have it at school. If someone has one the district claims the school has the right to confiscate your MP3 or other electronic devises (such as a computer or watch if they wanted{but not cell phone because of state law}). then here come school says first time you have to come back after school to get it, 2nd time your parents have to come get(even if your 18+) and 3rd time you dont get back until the end of the year (but they donate all confiscated/lost goods to good will they day after school ends). also 90% if you come to get without your parents the first time they will tell you they lost it.but i am not here to question if it is corrupt or unethical i just want to know is it plain legal?

" Radios, CD players, mp3 players, walkman-type headphones, laser pointers, toys, water guns, yo-yos, comic books, cards, dice, skateboards, roller blades, knives, jewelry with sharp points of any kind are not permitted at school. Such items will be confiscated and may be returned at the end of the semester."

also they use this for searching for mp3 players (if you have headphones on)

"According to Florida Statute 1006.09, a student’s locker, automobiles parked on school premises or other storage areas are subject to search, upon reasonable suspicion for prohibited or illegally possessed substances or objects."

wow. you school sucks. I cant believe they would go through all the trouble just so you cant have mp3 players.

And also yes, they are allowed to confiscate it if they want. Legally they are your "guardians" from the moment you leave your house in the morning, to the moment you step back into it after school.

Will they confiscate it as soon as they spot it on you, or only when you're using it during lessons?

The latter would be the case here (although even that's pretty rare I suppose). Any search of private belongings can only be conducted by the police officer and in the presence of school's psychologist (each school is supposed to have one).

That's just silly. Reminds me of 'Back to the Future' where Marty's teacher was crushing students' walkmans (walkmen?)

I can understand some of the school regulations. After all school is a place to work, and things that distract you or others from it, should be avoided. On the other hand, what is the harm in student's having MP3 player on him?

If he's not using it during lessons, he's not distracting anyone.

There is no way telling that files on the player are legal or not

He could be learning languages for heavens sake!

That's just silly.

Is there any reason given for banning mp3 players in your school?

I carry my Victorinox just about everywhere (actually I had one unpleasant experience, when I tried to enter local courthouse with it in my bag :P )

But well... knife's a different thing, and mp3 player is another.

She did return them to me after the lesson. And also we had some good laughs during the class, when she asked questions like "will two orcs kill the blue dragon?" etc :)

We've had pretty cool teachers in my secondary school.

I had my MT:G cards confiscated once.... cause the teacher wanted to look at the pictures :D

If you in the U.S. I would think that is illegal, unless you gave them permission. In my opinion, I would put that on the same level as breaking an entering, or a police officer that enters your house without a warrant.

umm...no.  Police officers don't own your house and they aren't your legal guardian.  What part of "The school becomes your legal guardian" do you not understand?  That's like saying your parents need a warrant to go into your room.

Police can go through anything on your persons IF they have a valid reason.

Like if you are walking down the street with your backpack, they just got a call about fresh graffiti, and your fingers have spray paint on the tips, Then they can go through your bag. If you're sitting at your desk, they cant walk up and look into your bag.

Like if you are walking down the street with your backpack, they just got a call about fresh graffiti, and your fingers have spray paint on the tips, Then they can go through your bag. If you're sitting at your desk, they cant walk up and look into your bag.

No they can't, my friend is a cop.

No they can't, my friend is a cop.

yes they can. I am taking a Criminal Justice course right now, and my dad is a cop ;)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.