Advertisements on PHP Freaks

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When ever I first saw the ads, I was happy.  Weird reaction I guess, but I would like for phpfreaks to stay around ;p.  Nothing is free.

Edit: I guess that implies that I think phpfreak couldn't pay the bill or what ever.  I don't know his finances (and they're none of my business), but I just think it's good that hopefully the community will support (or atleast help support) its self.

The new ads suck. I blocked them.

If you had have just asked for donations, I would have puts something in - I use this site regularly and would be happy to contribute. I'm sure there are many others who would do the same. But I feel like I'm being held hostage to it now.

They barely take up any space!  I don't even notice them.  Also, how can you get so mad over phpfreak trying to not have to spend his own money to run this forum?  Unlike you, most people would not donate.  And, as for me, I would feel held hostage if directly asked to donate.

I'm not mad, I just don't think it was cool.

I agree that most people wouldn't pay. But having run donation campaigns on my own forum (rather than having ads), I found that those who donate generally put out enough to cover expenses. Of course the user base here isn't the same as on my own forum, so it may be different, but no one can say one way or another, because it wasn't tried.

There are other ways of generating income as well. How about charging a fee ($5 - $10) to post in the freelance section.

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,45685.0.html

Lots of people in there have donated, and they weren't asked to do so, so I guess lots of people could donate.

I would much rather look at ads than donate though.

I guess this argument is going no where, since you don't like ads, and I don't mind ads (as long as they're not just all over the place)...  lol.

As for the freelance section thing, I don't think many people would be willing to pay to post in there.  They would have no way of telling how much traffic is in there, and this isn't a freelance forum.  Could be wrong though.

Meh, as far as i'm concerned, PHP freaks couldn't charge for the freelance forum. To charge for it would be to seen to implicitly provide some sort of guarantee on the quality of work. I can see the posts now..."you're making money from it; it's not fair I lost money by being scammed (because i'm retarded is by the by)".

The ads aren't that intrusive. Let's go with the flow.

I don't mind the ads and whatnot, but now the site tends to stall out making it hard to post / reply sometimes... for slow internet connections like mine, that sort of thing makes the site less appealing, which is a shame because it's been a fun place to mill about in since I signed up.

Coincidence about advertising.. I was reading this article from smashing magazine site. When I came across the following paragraph:

"What are advertisers paying for?

Are advertisers paying for clicks by visitors? Are they paying for sales conversions? Are they paying simply for the screen space? Each of these is a possibility and depends on the situation. AdSense ads, for example, pay publishers per click. Affiliate ads pay per sale or per action. Direct ads, such as most banner sales, are generally sold at a set price for the screen space and location."

Just for curiosity's sake... which version do these ads apply to?

I guess this argument is going no where, since you don't like ads, and I don't mind ads (as long as they're not just all over the place)...  lol.

No worries. Honestly, it's not like I'm going to stop coming to the forum or anything. I just don't like them.

Meh, as far as i'm concerned, PHP freaks couldn't charge for the freelance forum. To charge for it would be to seen to implicitly provide some sort of guarantee on the quality of work.

Disclaimer when paying. Any complaints - they get a link to the disclaimer they agreed to. If you are worried about implicitly guaranteeing something, explicitly state that you won't.

If you had have just asked for donations, I would have puts something in - I use this site regularly and would be happy to contribute. I'm sure there are many others who would do the same. But I feel like I'm being held hostage to it now.

We have... since 2004.

FYI, the inline Youtube ads have been temporarily removed because they were causing issues with loading pages. They may or may not return later.

Could positioning them at the bottom (after last post) be viable? In other words, if you can get the thread content to successfully load first, then have the ads coming after.. well, while that is loading, at least we can view the threads without lag? (granted, not sure if ads placed at the bottom poses as a problem of 'visibility' from the advert companies' standpoint).

It is sort of inline thinking with javascript and webpages. Yahoo recommends placing your javascripts at the bottom of your html code (if possible), as javascript loading hangs the process of the page loading / rendering until the script is fnished loading.

EDIT - Either that or implement a more 'light weight' ad system.. if I recall, the youtube ad had side buttons that you could click to display more footage thumbnails... so perhaps this adds weight to the ad system when downloading? If it was static images (no heavier script needed), it might not slow down much at all.

Don't know if it's related, but I got 'session expired' message several times today. Nothing serious, just click the button again, and it works.

And I'd also like to know, if the ads pay for displaying them, or for clicking them... I have them displayed, but the clicks are filtered by my hosts file :P

Could positioning them at the bottom (after last post) be viable? In other words, if you can get the thread content to successfully load first, then have the ads coming after.. well, while that is loading, at least we can view the threads without lag? (granted, not sure if ads placed at the bottom poses as a problem of 'visibility' from the advert companies' standpoint).

I don't think that'll be any major problem. I'm guessing it's because the file downloads slowly from Youtube's servers.

It is sort of inline thinking with javascript and webpages. Yahoo recommends placing your javascripts at the bottom of your html code (if possible), as javascript loading hangs the process of the page loading / rendering until the script is fnished loading.

EDIT - Either that or implement a more 'light weight' ad system.. if I recall, the youtube ad had side buttons that you could click to display more footage thumbnails... so perhaps this adds weight to the ad system when downloading? If it was static images (no heavier script needed), it might not slow down much at all.

We can't really edit anything. You can take a look at the source code on this page. We have to add those codes virtually verbatim.

Don't know if it's related, but I got 'session expired' message several times today. Nothing serious, just click the button again, and it works.

What kind of session expired errors? Here on the forums?

And I'd also like to know, if the ads pay for displaying them, or for clicking them... I have them displayed, but the clicks are filtered by my hosts file :P

This is the answer I got from Eric when I asked the other day:

I honestly couldn't tell you if it's impression based or click.. my guess is click.

Edit: I added them again, this time at the bottom. They seem to load faster now, so maybe there were just some network issues.

Here on forums, when posting a message.

Three times today I got a message like: 'Your session has expired, reload the page and try again' or something like that. I will copy the exact text next time :P

As I said, it's not really annoying, because I just need to hit 'Post' again.

Here on forums, when posting a message.

Three times today I got a message like: 'Your session has expired, reload the page and try again' or something like that. I will copy the exact text next time :P

As I said, it's not really annoying, because I just need to hit 'Post' again.

I got that once today, as well.  I think it said session timed out.  I just hit post again and it worked. 

We have... since 2004.

I just donated. I don't even care if the ads are removed (I already blocked them), and I don't want all the little stars next to my name - I don't mind donating. I still don't like the way it was done though.

I just donated. I don't even care if the ads are removed (I already blocked them), and I don't want all the little stars next to my name - I don't mind donating. I still don't like the way it was done though.

But those stars make you look like.. well, a star! ;)

Seriously though, have you checked you profile to see if there is a star status that can be enabled or disabled? If there is no such functionality, perhaps this is something for php freaks to take into consideration?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.