forum help

dadamssg

Well most free forums have templates to choose from.  You would have to go through them and find one that's similar to that look.  PHPBB, for example, is an open source forum that has many many different styles to chose from.

PHPBB3.0 Styles - In the upper right hand corner there's a drop down menu for styles.

*** There are more styles for PHPBB 2.0

Well most free forums have templates to choose from.  You would have to go through them and find one that's similar to that look.  PHPBB, for example, is an open source forum that has many many different styles to chose from.

PHPBB3.0 Styles - In the upper right hand corner there's a drop down menu for styles.

*** There are more styles for PHPBB 2.0

There are some pretty nice styles there. 

is there anyway you can break a phpBB forum up into different pages? For instance, have a page dedicated to one topic and have only have "Normal category 1" in that page. have a page dedicated to somethin else and have "normal category 2" there..etc.. anybody have any clue how to do that?

Sure.  As long as you're using the same database.  If you look at the PHPBB examples I gave you, you will notice that all the stats are the same because they're from the same database.  You would have to add some custom code, after all it is open source...

thanks for the help, its much appreciated...im obvioulsy new at this stuff. I just have an idea and am tryin to run with it. Tryin to figure out the easiest way to do certain things. I don't know how to use dreamweaver and all 'code' is a foreign language to me. I think i can learn dreamweaver fairly quickly. But I feel like i should hire people to do what i want because i don't think i can accomplish everything i want by myself...learning all the code. but at the same time, i don't want to have my idea taken. Any strategy suggestions?

I think i can learn dreamweaver fairly quickly. But I feel like i should hire people to do what i want because i don't think i can accomplish everything i want by myself.

Noooooooooooooooo!!!  Don't do it, Dreamweaver is awful.

You should learn how to code yourself and come back with questions.  You will be much better off.

I think i can learn dreamweaver fairly quickly. But I feel like i should hire people to do what i want because i don't think i can accomplish everything i want by myself.

Noooooooooooooooo!!!  Don't do it, Dreamweaver is awful.

You should learn how to code yourself and come back with questions.  You will be much better off.

That's a pretty stupid statement.  You can easily write code inside of dreamweaver.  There is now support for multiple libraries and has many tools to make life easier.  Using the correct tool for the job is what makes a good developer more productive. 

That's a pretty stupid statement.  You can easily write code inside of dreamweaver.

I'm sorry, the code that Dreamweaver generates is awful...  It doesn't even comply to W3 standards sometimes.

You still don't understand, you can write you own code in dreamweaver.  I don't use the WYSIWYG editor unless it will make some data entry faster such as filling in a table.  You really shouldn't comment on something if you don't know what you are talking about.

You still don't understand, you can write you own code in dreamweaver.  I don't use the WYSIWYG editor unless it will make some data entry faster such as filling in a table.  You really shouldn't comment on something if you don't know what you are talking about.

No, I understand that.  I was referring to the WYSIWYG.  When someone says:

I think i can learn dreamweaver fairly quickly.

makes me think they're using it with the WYSIWYG editor. 

I guess I'm just didn't interpret what dadamssg wrote.  I use Dreamweaver myself, it's great to manage bigger projects, same with NetBeans.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.