how to sell items in PHP

berry05

how do i sell items in php? like text based game items..when a user has a item it goes to  users_items table but i dont know how to make it so it can be sellable and add gold to the table users when a item is sold..

so far all i have is this which shows all the items the user has...i looked at the tutorial in the admins signature but it didnt help me when it comes to something like this though...

<?php session_start();

if(isset($_SESSION['otherusername'])){

$db=mysql_connect('localhost', 'root', '');

$res=mysql_select_db('textgame',$db) or die(mysql_error());

$otherusername = $_SESSION['otherusername']; //"SELECT item FROM users_items WHERE username='".$Username."'";

$res=mysql_query($otherusername)or die(mysql_error());

while($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($res)){

echo $row['item'] . "<BR />";

}
}else{

echo "Sorry your not a member please join us!";
}

?>

i looked at the tutorial in the admins signature

What tutorial are you referring to?  Could you provide a link so we could get the info that you're basing your game off of?

Are you keeping this info in a database?  Is there an item table with a value for each item?

What are the major issues here.  All you said is that you don't know how to do something.  This looks more like a design issue...

You need to have a table for items with a value for each, and another table like "user_to_items" to keep track of what items each user has.

You need to figure out a proper design for the application, database, and logic so that you don't run into these kinds of problems.

Currently you need to add a field called "gold_value" in the item table for each item so when users perform a transaction you know how much to add/subtract from each gold_count of each user.

<?php session_start();

if(isset($_SESSION['otherusername'])){

$db=mysql_connect('localhost', 'root', '');

$res=mysql_select_db('textgame',$db) or die(mysql_error());

$otherusername = $_SESSION['otherusername']; //"SELECT item FROM users_items WHERE username='".$Username."'";

$res=mysql_query($otherusername)or die(mysql_error());

while($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($res)){

echo '<a href="sell.php?item=" . $row['item'] . '">' . $row['item'] . "<BR />";

}
}else{

echo "Sorry your not a member please join us!";
}

?>

You will have to create a "sell.php" to see the item, probably have a confirmation for them, ask them if they really want to sell it.

when i hover over the items link  it has the URL and at the end it has sell.php?item=

and that's it..isn't it suppose to show the item name from the field?

echo '<a href="sell.php?item="' . $row['item'] . '">' . $row['item'] . "<BR />";

i think it has something to do with that code right there..

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.