Internal Hard Drive

Trium918

I am looking for good internal hard drive with a lot of space in between 300GB & 500GB or more. I am looking for performance, speed etc.. I am trying to avoid purchasing a dud. If you have any ideas on a great selection, could you please share them? Thanks! I have a Dell desktop computer. I think the tower is the 2400 series.

Dell has a tendency to have their computers manufactured so that you can only upgrade hardware through them.  First thing I would do is check to make sure your motherboard has regular IDE or SCSI interfaces instead of some proprietary Dell crap.

None of the 3-4 dells Ive ever owned have ever had any such issue.

Dell has a tendency to have their computers manufactured so that you can only upgrade hardware through them.  First thing I would do is check to make sure your motherboard has regular IDE or SCSI interfaces instead of some proprietary Dell crap.

The only problem I've ever run into with dell is some non-standard power supplies, but that is only with thinner desktop models.

I've run into proprietary Dell hardware quite a bit mostly in their older systems and some xps machines.  It wouldn't be so bad if a motherboard replacement didn't come down to ordering an overpriced replacement from them or moving the computer to an ATX case (which of course the current case isn't).  I just see "Job Security" written on Dell machines more than any other brand.  Maybe they should consider selling a better product rather than trapping people while they can.

thorpe what do you recommend?

We would need to know what type of interface you have for a hard drive.  Is it a SCSI, or IDE, SATA?  If it is, I use Western Digital, they make up to a 500 GB for IDE, and a 750 GB for SATA.  Not sure for SCSI, as I havent installed any SCSI drives yet.

I have worked with used Dell pc's for the last 8 years.  Seagate is the best drive for the money.  Very reliable, and a good warranty - 5 years.  Any of their IDE 7200 rpm drives will work.  Look on pricewatch.com to see what pricing is for them then go to a major retailer.

I have serviced many dells in my old job, and unusual sized PSUs and proprietary Dell DVI connections are the only issues I ever ran into.

Any of the normal HDD configurations should serve you well.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.