Sound issues

Daniel0

I hope someone can help me solve this issue.

I just got my laptop back from repair, but now there is no sound. If I remove the drivers then I can get sound through the internal speakers, but the jack plugs do not work and inserting e.g. a headset into them won't mute the speakers. When the drivers are installed there is no sound whatsoever. The sound card is detected by the OS (Vista x64, but that's irrelevant because it doesn't work in Ubuntu either) and it claims to be playing sound, but nothing comes out. One of the things they did at repair was replacing the motherboard.

Can anyone provide a logical reason to why this would happen, or even better, a solution to the problem? I don't really feel like turning it in for repair again.

Hmm... I'm not so sure about that. I get sound through the built-in speakers when there is no driver installed after all. Regardless, I'll be equally (un)lucky if the new mobo is broken or if there is a loose wire. I'll still have to turn it in and do without it for like three weeks again. I'll not be paying anything as I have an extended SLA that covers repair costs.

What laptop are you using?

Model/Make

An HP dv9685eo.

You may want to try updating your chipset drivers then sound card drivers.  Also check your bios settings.

No luck with that. Strangely, the bios settings contain virtually no options for me to change. Mostly only the date and boot order.

Do you see the card in the device manager?  If you do, try uninstalling it and rebooting and see if vista tries to reconfigure it.

Stole what I was going to write!

Anyways, if this is the same on Ubuntu as on Vista, it sounds to be more of an actual sound card issue. My 2cents is that they gave you a bad motherboard or as they would call it a "refurbished" mother board.

It sucks, but since it is still warrantied and they screwed up. I would send it back and have them fix it. However, if the harddrive is easy to remove. I would remove that to make sure you data stays with you. It should not void the warranty, unless the harddrive is insane to get to.  If not that, then do a backup to an external drive.

If you can, and you are capable at working on computers, see if you can just request the part. I know Dell will allow you to do Parts Only replacements and you just have to send back the old part within 10-days. You can find a service manual online for how to take the laptop apart. The hardest part will be keeping track of the screws, but all in all it should not be too hard.

My 4cents

1. Backup data and take laptop back to store with shotgun in hand.

2. Check ALL audio setting (mute etc) control panel -> sound and audio devices(or sound effect manager)

check what device is set to playback, etc

3. Confirm is hardware, if possible get a sound test boot CD or Boot from USB and install windows (on the USB) and test.

4. If the built in speakers are above the function (F) Keys, its likely they disconnected it while cleaning, you maybe able to slide the section to its left and see the loss cable.

Just spoke to the store and they insisted on repairing it again instead of giving me a refund. Repair time is up to one month... wtf?

Dude that is bull. I would tell them I want it done while I sit there and watch, or give me the refund. 1 month to repair is bunch a crap, especially when they "repaired" it with bad hardware. That is their fault.

Ultimatum, repair it within 1 day, since it was their fault for not properly testing the system, or give you the refund so you can go and spend your money on something that works. Unless of course you really liked the PC and do not care for the refund, just a fixed computer.

Just spoke to the store and they insisted on repairing it again instead of giving me a refund. Repair time is up to one month... wtf?

Dude that is bull. I would tell them I want it done while I sit there and watch, or give me the refund. 1 month to repair is bunch a crap, especially when they "repaired" it with bad hardware. That is their fault.

Ultimatum, repair it within 1 day, since it was their fault for not properly testing the system, or give you the refund so you can go and spend your money on something that works. Unless of course you really liked the PC and do not care for the refund, just a fixed computer.

Yea, you need to speak with upper management. I've never heard of a 1 month repair time...

I agree that it's bullshit, but making a formal complaint through the right channels and such will likely take way longer time than waiting for repair.

The guy I spoke to was management. Basically they are delegating the repair work to another company, though I think that one month is outrageous as well. He told me that he told them to address it ASAP, so hopefully it'll be quicker.

The law is tricky though. I can cancel the purchase (i.e. get my money refunded) if it "is a significant inconvenience for [me]" getting it repaired. Moreover, I have the right to demand a replacement if it is estimated that it will only be an insignificant economical loss for them to do it.

That being said, if it's returned with ANY errors this time then I'll go for canceling the purchase. It shouldn't be too difficult to argue that it's a major inconvenience for me seeing as it's a machine I need every day and they are not supplying me with a temporary computer during repair time. I've found a case where purchase was canceled including the extended service level agreement that was purchased.

I don't care about that specific computer. It's just some hardware. I've got all the data backed up anyway. Getting a refund or replacement would be far more favorable to me.

They even lost my computer last time for a little while. I certainly won't make another purchase with them again nor recommend them to anyone I know.

Dude you would totally be in the right to argue that it is a significant inconvenience to you.  They already lost your shit once.  Now they are saying it's going to take a month to repair.  That's bullshit.  There's not a single thing on that computer that can't be fixed in a few hours.  If they somehow actually needed a month to fix it, it would be 10x cheaper to just give you a new laptop.  That month of "repair" is 3 weeks and 6 days of shipping it to someone else to fix it and getting it back, because they are clearly in over their heads. 

I would go down to this place and tell them that you've already been significantly inconvenienced, and this month repair shit is not acceptable, and they have 2 choice: replace it with a new one or refund.

Yeah I guess I was too nice. By actually sending it in for repair I have accepted that they get another chance at repairing it. I also have the right to cancel the purchase if repair time is too long. I think what I can do is send them a letter with an ultimatum of getting it returned in a repaired state within a particular timeframe or otherwise I'll cancel the purchase and demand a full refund. I have a series of written tests in less than one month for which students are required to bring their own computers. Not having the computer at that time would not just be an inconvenience, but a damn major one.

The one month wasn't formally stated anywhere, but just the answer when I asked on my way out, so I haven't accepted any repair time, but only that they'll get another shot at repairing it. For that reason I think I'll have the law on my side if I demand it repaired within a fair timeframe.

For future reference, the easiest way to determine if the issue was hardware or software would be to boot a Linux live CD (or any other OS install that supports sound, and preferably a different OS).  5-10 mins max and you would know if you should just reformat(or try 3rd party drivers) or take it in for repair. 

Probably doesn't matter at this point but it provides a quick answer.

• 2 weeks later...

They spent the first five days sending it to the repair shop (I don't know why that took them so long). Then it was weekend so they didn't work. They did the work on Monday and spent time sending it back to the store where I bought the laptop and thus turned it in for repair.

I agree it's stupid that I should have to wait longer just because they don't have in-house repair, but there is not really anything I can do about it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.