Wireless Power!

Zane

I never thought the day would come when I could hang my flat screen on the wall, NOT plug it into an outlet and it be powered up. This is amazing, I can't wait to try this out!

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2009/02/wireless-charge.html

I don't like the commercialized aspect of it...the PowerMAT bullshit with the sleeves and matching base and all that. But I do enjoy the idea of having houses built to suit this technology. For instance having an entire table dedicated to power or a wall.

I didn't notice any mention of testing on the magnetic fields to see what the effects on the human body might be.  Transferring that much power across a room has to have some kind of negative effect, or so I would think.

Well they're already talking about bringing this into development this summer. The PowerMAT. It was on Attack of the Show. This is for real. And if it takes off, the technology could be incorporating into architecture (building, devices, etc) I've always wondered if this was possible but was skeptical since it would somehow involve a lot of radiation. But I'm not much of a scientologist to argue the aspects of all this electromagnetism and what not.

Nevertheless, I think this is awesome and can't wait to try this out.

Watch the video, the video explains better than the article.

here's an awesome example. Of course the host dude is half retarded or something.

PowerMAT presentation

this is cool technology and all and I think it definitely is where the future of portable devices is heading, but how easy would it be for someone to steal your power?  Look at how easy it is to pick up stray wifi....  What's to stop my neighbor (in an apartment building) from connecting to my wireless grid that I happen to place too close to the shared wall?

• 4 weeks later...

would be cool to charge your car , while its parked on the driveway.

and if its able to provide power to moving objects, they might be able to use it like a sort of powerlines on heavy traffic roads for electric cars without big battery's as they would stay charged while being used.

takes the fun out of putting your fingers in the socket for some "Electric boogy" though ;D

The guy with 3 eyes, 4 ears and 2 mouths said that there is no side affects at all.

I didn't notice any mention of testing on the magnetic fields to see what the effects on the human body might be.  Transferring that much power across a room has to have some kind of negative effect, or so I would think.

Being able to not have to plug something in is so awesome.  It's going to make things so much more efficient and less work and wait...no it's not.  Okay so it's going to be awesome because now I don't have to restrict myself to where the plug is...no wait, wait, I'm still going to have to restrict myself to a "zone."  Well damn, what's so cool about this again?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.