I.E7 problem display; block

shadiadiph

On your warpath again I see. I posted one example, and you posted one other, that show how IE7 isn't standards compliant.

Fortunately Microsoft appears to have fixed their non-compliance issues in IE8, or at least they have in the beta versions of it.

Ok for that guy who said has no idea about what I am on about.

I have a css menu or a button set at display: block;

when I load a page sometimes the 2nd 3rd fly out menu appears when i mouse over the first main menu li item and the 3rd menu is empty no content just the block displays.

In a button I have display: block it has an image set as the background for a( state and another for a;hover{ cometimes the a: hover stays completly blank sometimes it doesn't

IE7 is one of the most standard compliant browsers. I am yet to come to find a semantic, well coded example of how IE7 fails to render CSS 2.1 correctly. Acid2 doesn't count, as it utilizes rarely used coding selectors, css parsing, and insignificant url addresses.

Omg, are you f*cking stupid? The first several times you posted this, I thought you were just misinformed. Now it's obvious that you're actually retarded.

Did you join this forum merely so you could repeatedly post this..?

shadiadiph,

There are so many reasons why what you describe is happening, that it is impossible to guess without seeing both your CSS and complete html markup.

Always FIRST assume that a problem is something you did wrong in the markup - typo, improper nesting, wrong doctype, no charset, etc.

Then assume you did something wrong in the CSS - typos,  semi-colons instead semi-colons (like you did a few times in the posting here), improper a:link, a:active, a:hover order, etc.

The last things to blame are the CSS element and/or the browser.

9 times out of 10 you will find it was something YOU did wrong. Even if your page validates, you could still have done something in your markup or css that causes the page to display differently than you intended (even though it is perfectly good and valid code).

***** digression rant alert ***********

Remember this about IE, Microsoft designed it to use quirks mode, garbage code. They never intended for it to be W3C compliant because it is integrated with the shell of Windows.

IE6 was their first attempt to make it render CSS properly (remember the lies that if you use valid XHTML Strict code it will render using CSS standards ?)

IE7 was their first attempt to get back the marketshare they were losing to FF and Safari ... and while it did indeed support more CSS 1 & 2 elements than IE6, it still had the same old bugs that past IE versions had (box model rendering, HasLayout, etc). HOWEVER! MS pissed off the whole development community when it fixed the IE bugs that allowed the old IE "hacks", but did NOT fix the bugs that REQUIRED them!

And even while they were working on the IE8 beta to be 100% CSS 1 and 2 compliant, they changed core HTML parsing and rendering engine of the biggest DOG in their entire history, Office 2007, to no longer rely on IE to render Office Application html, but to have Word 2007 render HTML!!!!

Anyone who sent bulk html email (to clients who subscribe to a mailing list) had to re-write the entire markup code of their e-mailer template to use 100% quirks mode garbage, table based, inline styling, HTML 3.

Outlook no longer displays CSS floats, clear, background-image, overflow, position and more. As a matter of fact, MS posted a a special "validation tool" for the HTML that Outlook 2007 supports. Here is the MSDN library item about this. Scroll toward the bottom to see the CSS that is no longer supported in Office/Outlook:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa338201.aspx

Okay, this matters, how? It shows where MS is heading - which ultimately may be a good thing.

1. MS suffered a HUGE loss (relatively) in marketshare in IE in general (FF and Safari chipped away at IE's old 90% share in 2004 to @35 to 40% at present). They didn't like this.

2. they need to "quickly" overcome the fiasco that was Vista - strong arming the public to attempt forcing them to Stop using XP has resulted in the beginnings of life-long Windows users heading to Mac or Linux. And while they still retain a significant marketshare of consumer OS, because of what happened to IE, they realize that they are NOT invincible. "ME" was a failure, "Vista" is a failure ... they NEED the next OS to be as strong as XP was.

3. MS needed to get Office applications away from relying on IE to render its HTML - because while it is working to make IE standards compliant, it would be a nightmare to revise Office apps to both generate and use anything other than its usual garbage, beyond quirks mode html code.

MS in essence jumped from the frying pan to the fire for Office's html rendering, using the CSS 1 and IE6 proprietary subsets that Word 2007 uses. They will eventually need to address this and revise Office in the future to go back to using the IE shell.

But for now, they are nothing with the control of the OS market - they do NOT want another Vista on their hands. They want to stop people from jumping ship to Apple or Linux. They want to stop people from simply loading XP after buying a new PC/laptop.

In essence, they want and need another "XP" success. And IE8 is an important pre0cursor to show that they can actually make one of their products better, instead of meeting it all up like they did in Office 2007 and Vista.

Check your css to make sure you are using the proper a:link order (LoVeHAte aka LVHA aka a:link, a:visited, a:hover, a:active).

What you describe is the same symptom that could result when you put a pseudo link in the wrong order of the css.

:link and :visited must be before :hover. :hover must be before :active.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.