DNS and sub directory

Stooney

So I have a sub-domain with my registrar (1and1.com) which is eye.stooney.com.  Now I have the DNS records pointing to my home server.  This works fine.  The problem is that eye.stooney.com points to the root of the web directory on my home server.  How would I go about having it point to a subdirectory of the webroot?

I want eye.stooney.com to point to /eyeos/ on my home server. 

EDIT:  I have currently have eye.stooney.com forwarded to my ip/eyeos for those of you who try it.

Awesome, got everything working with virtual hosts.  Ty Corbin.  One more question though.

Is it possible to map an incoming request on port 80 to port 1020?  In short, I cannot open port 80 or Comcast gets fussy.  I don't want to have to enter my port on my url (eye.stooney.com:1020).  I have Apache running on port 1020.  So I want to be able to enter eye.stooney.com but in the end port 80 is 'mapped' to port 1020 without the user having to worry about it.

It's not a public server so you don't have to feel bad about helping someone get around their rules.  It's more of a learning experience for me really.

I have weird e-morals.  I don't like when people try to rip off website content (cURL help with login please!), but I generally have no issues with servers on ISPs where the ISP doesn't allow it.  Weird now that I think about it.  Maybe I choose to bend my morals when it suits me (my ISP doesn't allow serving content).  *Thinks*

Anyway, the DNS system is simply designed to resolve names to IP addresses.  In fact, it has nothing to do with port 80.  Port 80 is simply the default port in the HTTP protocol.  If you resolve a name using DNS and use the IP in the SSH protocol (for example) the default port is 22.

In other words, you will either have to use a service that supports port forwarding (no-ip.com for example) or have users enter the port.

(I could be wrong about the port thing....  Only about 90% sure, so you might want to google it, but it wouldn't make sense to be able to include a port with a DNS entry x.x.)

I was thinking more on the router end of things.  I looked around in my router settings and only see port forwarding/triggering.  Maybe some sort of enterprise grade router would support such a thing?

You are correct in that it needs to be taken care of on the router. Not a router under your control unfortunately. If your isp has blocked port 80 then you (and your router) cannot receive requests on this port. End of story.

The only solution is to have another server between you and your isp. You make requests to port 80 of this server it then forwards the requests to port 1020 on your server (via your isp) thus eliminating the problem.

They haven't blocked port 80, they just seem to monitor it and call me every time I open it.  But I guess if I someone did what I'm trying then pinging port 20 would get a response (even though it's from port 1020) they would think it's 20 and give me that exciting phone call anyways I suppose.  Maybe not.

Corbin, I probably meant 21.  I know they monitor ports 21 and 80 for sure.

Daniel, I agree there and do plan on upgrading to at least the Comcast business package.  Unfortunately that won't be today, as it costs more than I can afford right now.  My guess is 2-3 months I should have it though.  Until then I'm just working around the issue.

I only have a 1 DSL and 1 Cable provider where I live.  The max DSL speed my house will get is only 1.5Mbps, so I'm forced to Cable.  :(

Ty you all though for the help.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.