track returning visitors

mga_ka_php

I use google analytics, they have everything to track traffic. But regarding the ip address, they only change if the user changes computer; making it a fairly good way to track them.

EDIT: Read the question wrong, cookies is what you want.

$Yummy = $_COOKIE['choc_chip'];

Haha... I like your sig.

but back to the topic, I would only recommend using cookies if you have something that isnt really important to track, because the user can just clear cookies.. and well it goes down hill from there.

No matter what the OP does there will be a work around, as with well, pretty much everything in the programming world it seems.

Cookies - you can clear them

Sessions - destroyed when the browser closes

IP - Dynamic IPs

etc

what im trying to accomplish is that i have a website which some parts are restricted but users can view that restricted page 5 times.if more than 5, they need to register to access the restricted page.

But how do i track the returning visitors?

Currently, i used the ip address, but its not a solution because ip changes.

how do i accomplish this type of setup?

what im trying to accomplish is that i have a website which some parts are restricted but users can view that restricted page 5 times.if more than 5, they need to register to access the restricted page.

Based on past experience I have found it is a bad business plan to "force" users to sign up. Make them "want" to sign up by giving them extended benefits.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.