I want to setup a semi-large camera system

tibberous

I am buying a house and want to setup a large camera system so I can see most of the rooms in the house at all times, as well as the perimeter of the house. I was thinking I'd need like 6-8 outdoor night vision cameras, 5-10 room cameras, that don't really need audio.

I could get a complete setup for like $3,000, but I was thinking I might do better to get the main unit off newegg and then add the cameras as needed. Anyone ever set a system up?

Better be safe than sorry, right? ;)

Edit: By the way, are you going to have a guard or something viewing this cameras or just check on them every now and then and save their data? Because that much data might ammount to a bit of HD space.

If I was a burglar / rapist / Conservative, I'd be thinking that I've hit the jackpot with your house; considering your security system is basically telling me that you have something pretty neat inside.

And then you move on to cut his power and then laugh at him and his security system.

I actually used to install Security Camera systems. Funny enough.

For the box you need a really decent box, at least for the old type of cameras. I never installed an IP camera (one that runs off the network) but heard they are worth the money, $300-1000 per camera depending on the needs. You just plug them into a router and access them by an IP. As far as recording, I bet you still need a beefed up system.

Depending on how many cameras, and how long you want to keep data you may need a terabyte or two of space, plus you would want a redundant backup (maybe). The tower alone can be any tower, just need a bunch of ram, at least 4 GBs for video if you ask me.

If you go the old cameras, non-ip, they need power ran with the RG6 wire, and I would suggest connecting them upto a panel instead of using the power cords that are supplied with them. All in all the camera mounting is the pain, as you have to run the wires and depending on the house, if it is finished or not, can prove tough without the right tools.

As far as how many cameras you need, I think you are way over shooting it, but I do not know how much space you have to cover and what you want covered. For that price of a system installed with the DVR unit, you would be looking at a steep price, around $10,000 from what I remember that we used to charge for that large of a system.

Hope that helps, on a side note my bud sells this stuff (hopefully this is allowed, if not remove the link and PM me for it)  www.denverdvr.com which sells cameras, dvr systems etc.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.