[SOLVED] which os

Dowdy

hey guys I was thinking about changing my os

I am running Intel Q6600 quadcore (2.4GHz), 4GB ram, GeForce 8600GT (512MB), 1.25 TB Storage (over 3 hard drives)

Mostly used for gaming, music, internet and work

I am currently running XP Premium SP3. Do you guys think I should move over to Vista, Wait for Windows 7 or stick with what I have

any other information you need just ask

Thanks Dowdy

Wait for Windows 7.  It will be well worth the wait. The RC1 of Windows 7 is released, and it works wonderfully. Even on a low end machine, it works great.

Don't waste your money on Vista.

Thanks for the advice guys, I think my pc has been due a reformat as I can't remember the last time I have done one and so thought it would be a good time to change os while i'm at it I know vista has improved greatly since release but skipping straight to 7 would be ideal. It can wait a few more days. I'll let you know how 7 works out for me

Thanks again

I wonder if it will be possible to unlock RC1 to a full version once retail 7 is released....  If not, I'm sure there will be easy workaround...

It will either be update it or you just get a CD that updates RC1 to Windows 7 Retail.

Yeah, Vista gets a bad wrap, but most of the people who hate it so badly have terrible hardware.

I wonder if it will be possible to unlock RC1 to a full version once retail 7 is released....  If not, I'm sure there will be easy workaround...

It will either be update it or you just get a CD that updates RC1 to Windows 7 Retail.

Are you sure?  I guess I should just stop being lazy and google hehe.  With 7 Beta, there was/is no [supported] way to go from Beta -> Retail if I remember correctly..

Are you sure?  I guess I should just stop being lazy and google hehe.  With 7 Beta, there was/is no [supported] way to go from Beta -> Retail if I remember correctly..

Nope, it is just a guess.

But there should be no way to go from Beta to a RC version honestly. I would hope that they had some code-rewrite at the kernel level etc. So much that it would not be worth it to make it available to update.

There is a way to go from Beta to the RC version. You just have to modify the install. :) It is a simple change in the file that checks the version you are upgrading. You modify that and viola you have Beta to RC1 update.

Oh and I am sure of the Beta to RC1 cause I have done it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.