Load site into memory

DeanWhitehouse

I'm not sure what you mean. Most browsers cache stylesheets, JS files, and images... but this isn't what you want...

I'm not sure what you mean by using ajax to load your site page then redirect the user there... could you explain some more?

Very true, i had to assume he ment a main page that allowed to load the other pages before visiting them..

as i said i can't see any good reason for it, if i site is designed well then this approach is unneed and infact will be more wasteful for bandwidth and also slow down the whole sites loading.

No disrespect intended!

• 2 weeks later...

Surely you want to get individual page load times down as you visit them without having a huge openning page load time as it is this original load time that will put people off your site.

Sounds like a flash website without flash

The funny things is by the time the user has half download the main page and left thats the same as someone visting half your site, also this assumes people go to the main page first, who wants to goto a site and have to download everything ?

personally if i was downloading a printer driver i want the driver for the model printer that runs on my OS,  i don't want to download every driver ever made my that company "to save me time later" trying to speed up a bad design is more work than a re-design,

Well i'm not the designer, and am trying to compensate for those with bad internet and also some pages (e.g. blackjack) which has lots of images (cards) which without preloading might not show in time for certain users (as the game can be quick)

its just another way to optimise loading times, and i don't expect preloading the images to take that long

Actually his idea isn't that bad, you'd simply let javascript add the stylesheets/javascript files to the current page. (With the expiration header set to the some point in the future ) and while the user is typing his/her username/password half the stuff off the next page resides in the cache.

Simply add something like this to the bottom of the page.

<script type="text/javascript">
var stylesheet document.createElement( 'style' );
stylesheet.rel   = "stylesheet";
stylesheet.type  = "text/css";
stylesheet.href  = "/css/stylesheet.css";
document.body.appendChild( stylesheet );
</script>

Please note thats NOT what you asked,

pre loading images is one thing and in somecases makes sense, you said

Is it possible to load a site (as in a page) into the browser cache.

I want this so i can use ajax to load my site page then redirect the user there, like you can do with images.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.